American University SIS 2017

nic2017

Figured I'd start a thread for American. Applying for the MA in International Affairs (Global Government, Politics, and Security), but also torn between that and IPCR. There isn't a spot in the application for a Statement of Purpose... do we not have to write one for consideration to American SIS?

I applied for spring 2017, and I certainly had to write a statement (and an abnormally lengthy one at that).  It's probably buried somewhere deeper in the application process.  

Anyway, I'm GGPS as well.  It seemed like the most flexible and general option, for better or worse.  I'm pondering switching programs after my first semester (to USFP), but I probably won't.  

I'm applying to SIS too- US Foreign Policy & National Security. AU does their apps weird- you submit the application (the form part) and everything else is a supplementary document- including the personal statement. 

Are you applying out of undergrad? I'm a little worried about lack of work experience. 

2 hours ago, raliq said:

I'm applying to SIS too- US Foreign Policy & National Security. AU does their apps weird- you submit the application (the form part) and everything else is a supplementary document- including the personal statement. 

Are you applying out of undergrad? I'm a little worried about lack of work experience. 

American is reputedly more lax about work experience, for what it's worth.  I had only time in the national guard (no deployments or operational experience), time as a canvasser and some sporadic internships and I got in.

Thanks! I got deferred to spring for Fletcher early notification, and I know their average age is higher and expectation of work experience is more strict. AU's program is more what I'm looking for anyway, I think. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! I'm applying for SIS Development Studies for Fall 2017. I'm just wrapping up my SOP now. The no min/no max writing limit allowed me to ramble on just a little too much and I'm trying to cut out a lot of the fluff:) I'll be visiting SIS in late January for a small group session. Has anyone in this group attended a small group session? Did you find it helpful?

• 2 months later...

I'm desperately hoping for today, I called on Wednesday and they just said "within the next few weeks at the very very latest." It seems like in past years they rolled out decisions over several weeks so I'm thinking the first batch of decisions will be tonight. 

my decision was posted! In with 4 credits of tuition remission per year, total of just over $13,000. Hard decisions lie ahead- that's about $20,000 more than LSE but it's in DC and a little more specific to my career goals. 

3 hours ago, raliq said:

my decision was posted! In with 4 credits of tuition remission per year, total of just over $13,000. Hard decisions lie ahead- that's about $20,000 more than LSE but it's in DC and a little more specific to my career goals. 

What programme at LSE did you get into out of curiosity?

Just got the notification today, accepted to the MA in international affairs (national and international security). Funding about 24k over 2 years. But total tuition and fees for 2 years add up to about 70K and that's not including living expenses. I would need around $45K in loans just to cover tuition/fees, plus more to cover living expenses (at least 1,000 per month? I'll probably be living with at least 1 roommate)... I already have almost 7k in undergraduate loans which run me about $80 per month (down from 30K at $380 per month as I've been paying more than I had to for the past 4 years). Is this masters degree worth $70,000 in debt? What do yall think?

I think I'm a bit disillusioned when it comes to loans- so many people owe so much that student loans have started to seem inevitable, not like a car payment or mortgage. I'll be looking at $100k in money I don't have, though fortunately my parents may be able to help me out (mostly by loaning me their own money which I can repay them without interest/fees) and even though $100,000 is a whole lot of money, I'm leaving undergrad debt free and I'm hoping to work in the private sector at least until the end of the trump administration (and then take that pay cut to work in government). So, I'm not really in a position to say what's worth it for you, but in my opinion if you make the most out of your two years, the added value in the job market should make it worth the money in the long term. But I'm a fresh college grad with no spouse, kids, any other financial obligations, so savings aren't as important to me as they probably are for others. 

43 minutes ago, PolySciGuy said:

Just got the notification today, accepted to the MA in international affairs (national and international security). Funding about 24k over 2 years. But total tuition and fees for 2 years add up to about 70K and that's not including living expenses. I would need around $45K in loans just to cover tuition/fees, plus more to cover living expenses (at least 1,000 per month? I'll probably be living with at least 1 roommate)... I already have almost 7k in undergraduate loans which run me about $80 per month (down from 30K at $380 per month as I've been paying more than I had to for the past 4 years). Is this masters degree worth $70,000 in debt? What do yall think?

From what I recall SIS offers a lot (perhaps even most?) of their grad classes in the evenings and the program is designed so that students can work full-time while attending. It'll be a difficult two years, but my friends who were most successful (and had the least amount of debt!) post-degree were the ones who were getting work experience along with their MA. I'd start applying to jobs/paid internships now, with the goal of finding something that will at least cover living expenses.

Hi! I got my acceptance letter for MA in Intercultural and International Communications for Fall 2017. Was hoping that I'd get my financial aid information with it, especially in terms of merit scholarships... Looks like people have already heard about it? If I haven't heard about anything by now, should I assume I'm not getting any scholarships...?

@the99 there was an online chat today (actually still going on) and they said if you received merit aid, it was in the original acceptance letter- but very few students receive aid, unfortunately. Congrats on your acceptance! 

36 minutes ago, raliq said:

It just ended but it was one of the virtual events listed on the fb page & emailed out yesterday! I think they're doing the same one again in a few weeks. 

Thanks!  I just got the acceptance letter - unfortunately, with no aid, so I will not be attending.  Best of luck to you, and everyone else!