Medical anthropology programs

canvas

I'm currently a junior at a top 20 college in the US, and I'm interested in studying medical anthropology. (PM me for an idea of what I'm interested in doing research on.) I prefer the sociocultural side of anthropology and have a draw toward STS and studying alternative medicines from that perspective.

So far I definitely want to look into UNC Chapel Hill, Case Western Reserve, and HASTS, but I'm worried I won't be good enough to get full funding. (Again, PM me if you want more info about my stats.)

UC Berkeley/UCSF has more faculty who fit my interests, but I've heard mixed reviews about the program.

I have also considered the University of Washington and Washington State University (I am a WA resident). The PhD/MPH at UW is interesting, though.

Are there any schools I've overlooked?

You should also look at University of South Florida. They have an MA and PhD in Applied Anthropology with a track in Medical Anthropology. Like UW, they also offer you a chance to get your MPH at the same time as either the MA or PhD. I have a couple of friends there and they enjoy it.

You might also want to look at Johns Hopkins. They're obviously known for the MD program, but it might be good to look at their anthropology program. They have a couple of medical anthropologists on staff that you might be interested in working with.

Finally, while it's not my specialty, you might want to look at Mississippi State University. It's only have a MA program, but they try to only accept students that they can fund. Currently there's a professor who does research on HIV/AIDS in Africa, but she's leaving at the end of next semester and they're hiring for her replacement right now. This individual will still be working on medical anthropology, so you'd still have that connection. But sadly there is no clear replacement yet to tell you what their research will be on.

I don't know much about Iowa other than they're known for their feminist anthropology concentration.  Definitely worth checking out some faculty profiles to see if they have anyone who has research interests similar to yours.  Good luck in your search!

Alabama and Emory are both programs you should check out, as well. Alabama fully funds pretty much everyone who gets accepted, including MA students.

Edited by Paloma

On 12/22/2016 at 1:19 AM, Paloma said:

Alabama and Emory are both programs you should check out, as well. Alabama fully funds pretty much everyone who gets accepted, including MA students.

Emory also funds their PhD students quite nicely. Private schools are at least pretty reliable on that account.