Faculty focused on mind body duality, gender and disability in the technological age?

meghanmetier

At the moment I am only applying to three schools, and I probably should more. My portfolio is painting, but I'm applying to cross discliplinary programs.  I'm interested in doing research in mind body duality, gender and disability in relation to the technological age. I study a lot of Yayoi Kusama, Terry Winters, Bridget Riley and Julian Stanczak, along with literature and theory surrounding those concerns. 

Im flirting with Yale because of Anoka Faruqee, but resistant because i don't have any experience in gallery settings (I'm stuck in Iowa and thanks to class barriers can't really plop myself anywhere else.)

Does anyone know of programs I should look at with faculty working in similar thought? Right now my list is Hunter, Pratt and Tyler. 

Heres a bit from my statement to help contextualize it idk. 

Two years ago, I began work on a visual narrative as a means of processing my struggle to maintain control over my counteractive mind and body. I approached their antagonism anatomically, studying medical images of MRI scans, chemical compounds of psychiatric drugs, cellular structures, and microbiology all the while, ruminating on escapism.  My work has since transitioned from the physicalism of the human body to the human mind and its phenomena. I am especially interested in the contemporary psyche as it inhabits our technological landscape, contextualized by evolutionary history and biology. How has humanity formed from single celled life a separate entity? How do we experience and engage with a complex and global world given that evolutionary past?  In my work I engage with this by looking to the internet’s potential to allow experiences beyond immediate physical surroundings and reflect on popular questions posed in the science fiction cannon. I am inspired by the human ability to create narratives to experience and escape our corporeal reality.

Jan Estep ( http://www.janestep.com/?page_id=6 ) at the UMN fits especially into body and mind duality. She has a project using brain scans which seems relatable to your study of medical MRI scans and she has some other projects that seem to fit the bill in terms of mental health, etc.

I would definitely check her out.

:]

On 12/15/2016 at 6:11 AM, Leo168 said:

Jan Estep ( http://www.janestep.com/?page_id=6 ) at the UMN fits especially into body and mind duality. She has a project using brain scans which seems relatable to your study of medical MRI scans and she has some other projects that seem to fit the bill in terms of mental health, etc.

I would definitely check her out.

:]

Cool thank you for the recommendation!  

I probably won't apply to UM tho simply because I grew up near the Twin Cities/have a lot of family there and just need to get away.