Research Experience as an International student

Hi All,

I know that all our applications are now in, but I have a question that is nagging me regarding research experience.

I am from the UK, which is obviously very different at the undergraduate and graduate level to the US. As such, I don't know a single person who did anything other than a science undergrad who has done research in the way that people on the forums seem to be discussing (e.g working for a supervisor). I have completed a Thesis during my masters degree (as well as several extended essays at undergraduate and a small project as part of my teacher training), but I have been rather at a loss as to how - as a teacher of 7 years - I could possibly have any more "research" experience than this, unless I left teaching. US universities clearly do accept some applicants who have careers as teachers and I am wondering if this is because it is normal for undergrads in the US to do research, so even those who then went into teaching would have done some? Essentially I just keep looking at profiles of current PhD students and seeing that they did internships for the government, work for professors as researchers etc. prior to doing the PhD. But as these things aren't done in the UK (you would have to join the civil service through their graduate scheme and as I said you can't just work for professors as a research assistant) and I couldn't possible move to the US without having a place on a programme already, I don't really see what I could have done without leaving teaching altogether and finding some kind of alternative career that involves research - which seems really rather absurd given that I am applying for PhDs in education, so I am sure I must be wrong in having drawn this conclusion.

In a sense I think I am just fretting now and I always like to have a backup plan, so if I don't get into any programmes it would be good to know what I need to spend time doing in order to reapply at a later date.

I am sorry if this is rather confused, since this is a matter I am confused by. Any answers/discussion would be much appreciated, especially if you went into a PhD directly from the classroom or are an international student.

For many PIs I know, it's not so much about doing formal research, but about having a research mindset and experience. A teacher who does action research in his or her class could speak to many things a potential advisor might want to see in a prospective student.

12 hours ago, t_ruth said:

For many PIs I know, it's not so much about doing formal research, but about having a research mindset and experience. A teacher who does action research in his or her class could speak to many things a potential advisor might want to see in a prospective student.

Thankyou for your answer. It makes a lot of sense and I certainly have done this many times in my years as a teacher, though I hadn't really considered it counted as research to a university as I thought of it more as professional practice. I have certainly investigated methods of teaching/behaviour management, discussed and collaborated with others to address issues and experimented with the implementation of ideas then observed the effects of them and reflected. In my current school we also film lessons and review them as a means of understanding our practice and reflecting on it. It's good to know that all of these count as forms of research experience.