Still trudging through...

bquinn

I was originally going to apply to UConn's MSW program in Policy Practice for Fall 2018, but recently changed my mind. I would have started the application sooner but I got married 10/1, went on my honeymoon, and then my brother passed suddenly the following week (10/19). Needless to say, my emotional capacity for dealing with life, nevermind the application process, has been limited. However, I've started the personal statement and have gotten 2 our of 3 recommendations in so far. I'm nervous that I won't get in (thanks, anxiety disorder!), but I'm applying with a 3.9 undergrad GPA, 4 years of experience in the field, and great recs from supervisors. I guess I'm just curious if there's anyone on here still in the thick of it! I'm hoping to have everything in by January 1 (app is due Feb 1). Ahhhh!

PS: is anyone else here applying to UConn...? Doesn't seem to be too popular on these boards.

3 hours ago, adorablepancreas said:

Hello,

I am applying to UConn's MSW program, though it's not one of my top choice schools.

Awesome! Have you submitted your application yet?

1 minute ago, bquinn said:

Awesome! Have you submitted your application yet?

Not yet! I'm applying to 17 schools total (because I'm insane, I guess! :P) and UConn has one of the later deadlines. I have most of my application filled out, I just need to upload my essays and wait for one more LOR. That's where I'm at with all the apps I have left. 

Have you submitted yours?

5 minutes ago, adorablepancreas said:

Not yet! I'm applying to 17 schools total (because I'm insane, I guess! :P) and UConn has one of the later deadlines. I have most of my application filled out, I just need to upload my essays and wait for one more LOR. That's where I'm at with all the apps I have left. 

Have you submitted yours?

Wow!!! That's ambitious and admirable! I'm still in the process of doing my personal statement (working on it at the moment, actually), but two of my letters are in (the other one will be done next week) and I'm going to request my transcript from undergrad tomorrow. Where are your top choices? What inspired you to apply to so many schools?! So curious about your process :) 

1 minute ago, bquinn said:

Wow!!! That's ambitious and admirable! I'm still in the process of doing my personal statement (working on it at the moment, actually), but two of my letters are in (the other one will be done next week) and I'm going to request my transcript from undergrad tomorrow. Where are your top choices? What inspired you to apply to so many schools?! So curious about your process :) 

My top choice school, by far, is Columbia. Their program is just so broad and customizable, and I really love NYC! They are super expensive though so financial aid will be a factor, if I get admitted.

My other top choices are probably Michigan, Denver, and Boston. I've lived in California my entire life so I'd really like to explore a new place for a couple years! And they all have great programs. 

I'm applying to so many because all of my top choices are so prestigious, and I wanted backup options. Plus, with financial aid being a big factor, I wanted to see how many institutions I could get into and what kind of scholarships I can get. That way I have (hopefully) at least a handful of admittances and therefore a few good options to choose from. In hindsight I probably should have cut it down to 10 schools, but such is life! 

Are you applying to any other schools?

All great options! If I was willing to move (I live in Western Massachusetts) I would definitely be applying to Michigan, Denver, and UT Austin. I'm only applying to UConn because it's the only local school with a policy focus- if Smith wasn't just clinical, I'd apply there in a heartbeat! What concentration are you looking to do? Hopefully you hear from some schools soon!

7 minutes ago, bquinn said:

All great options! If I was willing to move (I live in Western Massachusetts) I would definitely be applying to Michigan, Denver, and UT Austin. I'm only applying to UConn because it's the only local school with a policy focus- if Smith wasn't just clinical, I'd apply there in a heartbeat! What concentration are you looking to do? Hopefully you hear from some schools soon!

Ultimately I'd love to do a mix between micro and macro social work. That's one of the main reasons that Columbia appeals to me so much--they have a method called Advanced Generalist Practice and Programming that's like a mezzo blend that sounds perfect to me! They also have a micro method and two more macro/policy methods. And within your chosen method you can choose one of seven different areas of concentration such as school social work, aging population, children youth and families, etc. I think the one I want to focus on is Contemporary Social Issues :)

You guys are giving me the sads. I was trying to be an overachiever and have my Ohio State app in by end of October. 

Everything is in except a LoR from a professor who is kind-hearted but extremely forgetful. I keep making excuses to remind him but it still isn't submitted and I'm assuming now I'm screwed until after the holidays. Im running out of options here so I hope everything works out. 

On 12/21/2016 at 9:46 PM, bquinn said:

Hey there. I thought I would share some things about Smith if that's okay. Smith is technically all clinical. Even there application says clinical. I went to the information session at smith in October. There they talked about how there are opportunities to do a macro focus of you want - in terms of placement and electives. They are integrating more policy and management in their curriculum. There were current students and alums that were at the info session. The were some that were working in policy/management jobs. I think it's worth applying and looking into their curriculum/electives page.