GPA/MAJOR GPA

mano

Hi,

Maybe that's a stupid question but I am really not sure about the answer. Is major GPA different from cumulative GPA(for undergrad)? I've entered my cumulative, not my major GPA. (do I need to calculate it??)

thanks.

----sorry, yeah it's obviously different. Shit...I've entered my cumulative GPA for two schools.. How can I calculate my major, though?

Edited by mano

The same way you calculate your cumulative GPA, except only using classes in your major. Your school should have a list somewhere for GPA values of letter grades. This is probably the most typical one:

A = 4.0

A– = 3.7

B+ = 3.3

B = 3.0

B– = 2.7

C+ = 2.3

C = 2.0

C– = 1.7

D = 1.0

F = 0

However, I have seen some schools that count an A- as 3.66, a B+ as 3.33, etc., so be sure to check how your school does it.

Then for each class in your major, multiply the GPA value for the grade you received by the number of credits. So, if you got an A- in a 5 credit class: 3.7 x 5 = 18.5

Once you've done this for every class in your major, add them all up and divide by the number of credits you had in the major. That will be your major GPA. 

5 hours ago, Glasperlenspieler said:

The same way you calculate your cumulative GPA, except only using classes in your major. Your school should have a list somewhere for GPA values of letter grades. This is probably the most typical one:

A = 4.0

A– = 3.7

B+ = 3.3

B = 3.0

B– = 2.7

C+ = 2.3

C = 2.0

C– = 1.7

D = 1.0

F = 0

However, I have seen some schools that count an A- as 3.66, a B+ as 3.33, etc., so be sure to check how your school does it.

Then for each class in your major, multiply the GPA value for the grade you received by the number of credits. So, if you got an A- in a 5 credit class: 3.7 x 5 = 18.5

Once you've done this for every class in your major, add them all up and divide by the number of credits you had in the major. That will be your major GPA. 

I appreciate that, thanks.