Hardest MSW programs to get into?

blazingson

I've got a good friend who is just beginning the process I just finished... applying to MSW programs.

Does anyone know how selective these schools are (in terms of getting into)?

Please rank on a scale of 1-5 with five being the most selective:

U of Chicago

Berkeley

WashU

Michigan

Columbia

UCLA

UNC

• 1 year later...

i think msw programs are more about who you are as a person, what you have to offer the field, and your past personal/professional experiences- all of which is reflected in your essays. Hence why msw programs usually have like three essays as opposed to like one for other masters programs.

• 1 year later...

i think msw programs are more about who you are as a person, what you have to offer the field, and your past personal/professional experiences- all of which is reflected in your essays. Hence why msw programs usually have like three essays as opposed to like one for other masters programs.

I know! The essays for all of the schools almost killed me. I was going to apply to around 13 schools when I first started, but narrowed down to 3 because I was so sick of writing all of those essays! It helped narrow down which schools I really wanted to go to though.

As previously mentioned, I also think admissions to MSW programs is based primarily on personal character (including LORs), prior human services experiences, and undergraduate record. I've had friends rejected from WashU and University of Chicago because they were trying to go straight to a masters after undergrad with no work or research experience. If standardized tests aren't your thing, perhaps Berkeley, UCLA, and UNC might fare a bit tougher as they require the GRE. Really, though, if you have a decent resume, great LORs, and above a 3.0 GPA, I think all of those schools are pretty much the same in terms of competitiveness. Admissions may not be super competitive, but getting the degree funded will be. Social work research assistantships are pretty rare at the masters level, and internal scholarships are often limited and rarely do schools give out full-tuition scholarships. I would imagine if your friend applied to all of the listed schools, he or she would be admitted to at least one of them.