Stanford Anthropology

a fragrant plant

For those who have applied to Stanford's Anthropology PhD, have you heard anything back from the department? Since I pressed the "submit" button in December, I have not received any confirmation of my application (except the "Application Successfully Submitted" email). There is no way to check my status online. I've tried to phone the department a couple of times but the person who is responsible for grad school applications is not in. I've also tried email. No response. Is this normal?

I did not apply to Stanford Anthropology, but I did apply to Stanford Linguistics using that same frustrating ApplyYourself website. I got the automated "application successfully submitted" e-mail first, then later received an e-mail from the Ling department's Student Services Officer informing me that my application was complete. I was actually surprised to hear from the SSO; I was under the impression that most departments do not contact the applicants unless their files are incomplete.

As it is, I got word from the SSO on December 16, 15 days after I had sent in all parts of my application. Considering that your field probably gets at least twice as many applicants as mine, individually contacting each applicant might take much longer. Winter break probably intervened in their processing of the applications as well, so it might take quite a while for them to get back on track. If you are nervous that something may have gotten lost in the mail, though, it probably wouldn't hurt to try to contact the department again.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to let you know my horrible experience with Stanford, I submitted my application from overseas. I then called EVERY SINGLE DAY to make sure that my supplementary materials got there (Royal Mail is known for just dumping mail into the ocean instead of delivering it to the States) and EVERY SINGLE DAY I got voicemail. When I finally did get through, a day after the deadline and sending about 15 emails, I was told that one part wasn't received. They kept my $115 application fee of course.

Be careful with Stanford- they are not helpful at all and just want the money. I was so unimpressed and dejected by how they treat their applicants (regardless of the number submitted) that I didn't apply again.

Good Luck, I really hope that you hear good news soon and have a better experience.

Wow. That's rough.

I also hate the applyyourself system.

I've been able to connect with them on the phone, and have had some great conversations with faculty over e-mail, but these experiences mean little if my application is not complete. Hmm ...

Perhaps I'll call them again to make sure that everything is in order.

• 2 weeks later...