The GRE

mnestic

I'm planning on going for an MLIS, though I'm not at all sure where I want to go. I've noticed that some library schools do not require applicants to take the GRE if they have undergrad GPAs over 3.0. I'm wondering, though, how much (if at all) it will help my application if I take the GRE?

I have a 3.2 undergrad GPA from a regionally-known liberal arts college. I am reasonably confident in my ability to write a good statement of purpose. I know that, if I take the GRE, I will do much better on the verbal than on the quantitative. I've always been good at standardized tests, but do not want to invest the time and money in taking this one if it's not going to help my applications.

Thanks for any insights you may be able to share!

m

Edited by mnestic

I'm planning on going for an MLIS, though I'm not at all sure where I want to go. I've noticed that some library schools do not require applicants to take the GRE if they have undergrad GPAs over 3.0. I'm wondering, though, how much (if at all) it will help my application if I take the GRE?

I have a 3.2 undergrad GPA from a regionally-known liberal arts college. I am reasonably confident in my ability to write a good statement of purpose. I know that, if I take the GRE, I will do much better on the verbal than on the quantitative. I've always been good at standardized tests, but do not want to invest the time and money in taking this one if it's not going to help my applications.

m

I had a 3.5 GPA from an top state school and had an 1190 when I applied. I got turned down because "my GRE was a little low". I reapplied with a 1270 and they took me then. I later got a 1410 and they knew, but my student file shows a 1270 as my admissions GRE score.

• 2 weeks later...

m

I would highly recommend that you take the GRE. One of the first rules of applying to graduate school is: never, EVER turn down an opportunity to burnish your credentials. You want to distinguish yourself from the competition as much as possible.

If I were you, I'd begin by sitting down and figuring out some places that you might want to go. If you're serious about this process, you can do that much. Do your research and make a list of 5-10 places. Then go to their websites and check out their admissions profiles. You should have a good idea of what a prospective student to each of those schools looks like as far as GPA and GRE go. 3.2 is a respectable GPA (maybe you can play it up a bit with your major GPA?), but I think you will find that many schools tend to see higher GPAs from their average applicant, let alone accepted student. That might freak you out, but it shouldn't. Think about it - for every kid walking in the door with a 4.0 college GPA, taking somebody with a 3.0 GPA still leaves them at a healthy 3.5 average. What this should tell you, though, is that you might need to make up a bit of ground in other ways. A focused statement letter that shows you really want to go to School A and good recommendations go a long way. A good GRE score certainly won't hurt you, and it might help to drive home the point that you really are serious about graduate study. Even if you choose not to take the GRE and apply to a school that doesn't require it, you better believe that a high percentage of other applicants will have taken it. And even an average score shows a greater commitment than no score at all.

As far as applying to places that require the GRE . . .well, you'll see a wide range of scores that programs like to see. You'll find some places that won't require more than 1000, and that's basically just proof that you showed up to take the thing. For the more prestigious programs in our field, you're going to want an above-average score, something around 1250. And last but not least, GREs are a great separator when schools are figuring out who gets the extra financial perks (scholarships and whatnot). I need say no more there.

Start checking out some schools (you'll find advice around here on that if you would like), and go out and buy yourself a good GRE prep book (you'll find plenty of recommendations around these parts). You need to up the commitment level to this process, but I think you'll be okay.