No-Interview Means Possible Rejection?

tianqian345432

I am just wondering for Education related Ph.D., how likely is it to be accepted if you get an interview invitation, and how likely is it to be rejected if you do not get an interview invitation? I have some friends studying in very top education programs, and most of them did not get interview invitations. They are telling me to wait until the end of Feb. to see the final result, and no need to worry about the January thing. Is this true? 

Anybody has any sure-information? 

Thanks!

Not all programs conduct interviews. Additionally, most programs that interview say that those being interviewed are the "top candidates" and continue to review all applicants and conduct some interviews via Skype after the institution's "interview weekend."

@hopefulPhD2017 mentioned in another topic that they reviewed whether or not the program was a program that interviewed in the first place.  If they do not interview - then yes, don't worry yet.    

I haven't heard too many stories, though, of a program that interviews digitally (aka, no on-campus interviews) bringing people on without an interview some time in late Jan/early Feb.  But, it's not even February yet.  There is still time for all programs.  Some haven't even started reviewing yet. 

10 minutes ago, ugggggh said:

@hopefulPhD2017 mentioned in another topic that they reviewed whether or not the program was a program that interviewed in the first place.  If they do not interview - then yes, don't worry yet.    

I haven't heard too many stories, though, of a program that interviews digitally (aka, no on-campus interviews) bringing people on without an interview some time in late Jan/early Feb.  But, it's not even February yet.  There is still time for all programs.  Some haven't even started reviewing yet. 

Hi, 

Which program are you applying at Northwestern? The HDSP?

14 hours ago, tianqian345432 said:

Hi, 

Which program are you applying at Northwestern? The HDSP?

Learning Sciences.  They're sending out interview notices in 1-2 weeks they said. 

6 minutes ago, ugggggh said:

Learning Sciences.  They're sending out interview notices in 1-2 weeks they said. 

I was talking to a Professor early this week about the admission, and he told me the notification will go out this Tuesday. Not sure how accurate this is. 

35 minutes ago, tianqian345432 said:

I was talking to a Professor early this week about the admission, and he told me the notification will go out this Tuesday. Not sure how accurate this is. 

Thanks!  That's exciting to know if that's  correct. When I called last week (on 1/15 I think?) the guy who answered the phone said that all invites would be out within 1.5 - 2 weeks and that they  hadn't yet determined the dates for the on campus visit. 

Is there any way to delete this post....:( Just figure out how to use Quote function correctly. 

their LS program is highly competitive and obviously among the best LS PhD programs.  Good luck to your application!

In regards to interview, not necessarily. But be aware of programs that give you admission without conducting interview.  They may not mention funding at all in the informal acceptance email.  

Edited by reallydontknow

3 hours ago, ugggggh said:

Their LS program is highly competitive and obviously among the best LS PhD programs.  Good luck to your application!

In regards to interview, not necessarily. But be aware of programs that give you admission without conducting interview.  They may not mention funding at all in the informal acceptance email.