Is there hope...

irishfan11

Basically, I have a BA (poly sci; GPA: 3.04 total, 3.13 last 60 hours; 3.4 in major area) from the second largest school in the Indiana University system. Currently, I am done with all the coursework in their MA program at have a GPA of 3.71. Got an 1120 on the GRE's, and have applied to the following PhD programs, in no specific order: Washington State, Ole Miss, Nevada, Illinois-Chicago, Houston, LSU, Kentucky, Florida International, Texas Tech, and New Mexico.

So, my stats are:

UGPA: 3.04

Last 60 hrs: 3.13

Major Area: 3.4

Grad GPA: 3.714

GRE's: 1120

Also, I am teaching a class, acquired a RAship, got a full tuition waiver for my final 12 hours, and do some stuff at another university. Also, worked in state and local govt for the last 5 years, full-time, while going to school (I'm sure no one cares). Strong research paper and LOR's.

Keep in mind where I am applying, I feel as though I am well within my range of possibilities.

What does everyone think? Also, when should I hear from these programs?

Thanks in advance!

If you had at least a 1200 GRE I think you could feel a lot more comfortable. Although you will have an MA so that should set you apart from other applicants. Anything else like this to set you apart, like articles or anything?

Other than that I think you should find a spot in one or two of those programs, as long as the budget crisis hasn't hurt them badly.

If you had at least a 1200 GRE I think you could feel a lot more comfortable. Although you will have an MA so that should set you apart from other applicants. Anything else like this to set you apart, like articles or anything?

Other than that I think you should find a spot in one or two of those programs, as long as the budget crisis hasn't hurt them badly.

Regarding your concern of the GRE's, when I contacted each of the programs, they stated their avg. last year was 1135ish.

Also, I am trying to get a paper, which is serving as my writing sample, published with the help of one of my recommenders.

Regarding your concern of the GRE's, when I contacted each of the programs, they stated their avg. last year was 1135ish.

Also, I am trying to get a paper, which is serving as my writing sample, published with the help of one of my recommenders.

Right, but I said to feel comfortable. Being on or just below the average is not a comfortable place to be. Its akin to being on the bubble in March Madness bracketology projections.

I think you should be fine.

I'd be more worried about the GPA than the GRE, but you have other substantive work to compensate. Given that you aren't applying to the uber competitive schools should help too.

Reason for the low undergrad GPA...1.2 my first year...Laugh it up people

Reason for the low undergrad GPA...1.2 my first year...Laugh it up people

I think you have a good shot at getting admitted to two or three of those, which is not a bad batting average out of 10 total apps. And the 1.2 is no biggie, especially since you must've had a 3.2 or above every semester thereafter to pull that up to the 3.0 that you finished with. Shows an upward trend, plus the 3.7 in the MA program shows that. I think you have a decent shot. I agree with Aunuwyn that you're on the bubble at a lot of those places, but I think you'll be on the right side of the bubble at at least a couple of them.

It's seems to me that you've set fairly realistic expectations in terms of where you've chosen to apply. I agree with a previous person here who said that barring some kind of disaster you should get into one or two of those programs. However, should the worst happen and you do not, I would highly recommend re-taking the GRE. Investing even just a couple of months of studying and learning the test would no doubt raise your score. It's a known fact that there are simply some people who don't test well, which is why standardized test scores are such a hot topic of debate among students, professors, politicians, school bureaucrats, etc. However, in the end, putting aside whatever our personal views may be about it, they matter. With enough solid practice that allows you to understand the test structure and improve upon areas of weakness, I would imagine you could most definitely get the score up and enhance your profile.