Stats/Biostats Profile Evaluation

Cioran

Hey everyone! I'm interested in getting some program recommendations for statistics and biostatistics programs. See specific questions at the end of this. (special thanks to @marmle for recommending me to thegradcafe.)

Undergrad Institution: Poorly Ranked Southern Institution
Program: BS Mathematics. Computer Science/Economics minors. (in spring of 3rd year)
GPA: 3.91 (4.0 math)
Type of Student: Domestic White Male
Courses: 
Mathematics: Real Analysis I, Abstract Algebra I, Differential Equations, Introduction to Advanced Mathematics, Applied Statistics, Linear Algebra, Calculus I-III.
(Currently taking): Real Analysis II, a graduate course in set theory, Mathematical Statistics I, Categorical Data Analysis
(next semester, during application): Experimental Design, Mathematical Statistics II, Numerical Analysis

GRE: 
V: 169
Q: 170
AWA: 5.5

Research Experience: Currently submitting a paper in extremal graph theory and should be presenting its results at an international conference. Currently working on two papers in applied statistics. Mentioned in acknowledgements for paper  on multivariate normality. Hoping to do SIBS at least this summer, but have applied to several REU's
Research Interests: Clinical trial design methodology/data quality (biostatistics), normality tests and bayesian inference (stats)

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: large undergraduate scholarship, term gpa, honor societies.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Student assistant for math department since start of this year (grader, tutor, proctor for tests). Also am the director of elections for my school, and have programmed a survey software to be able to conduct elections for us (saved us about 1500$ a year in costs)

Letters of Recommendation:
- Math professor and associate chair who I am publishing graph theory research with
- Stats professor who I am completing statistics research with (also adviser)
- (currently, hopefully will which out with REU adviser if possible) math professor who has been my instructor for Real I-II, ODE, Linear, and Calc III

Concerns/Questions:
I'm more worried about the quality of my institution more than anything. Will programs in biostats and stats still take me seriously, or will the rigor of my school preclude my admission to some programs?

I am considering dropping my CS minor (basically I will be on class short) in order to do an independent study in measure theory from Royden's Real Analysis. Is this worth it?

I would love some recommendations on where to apply for my research interests for biostats. I would also really appreciate some recommendations for stats and biostats as far as reach/match/safety schools.

Thank you!
Edited by Cioran

I feel like as long as this isn't a for-profit school that hands out free (paid) A's this profile looks very solid, esp with strong GRE scores and relevant research/activities. I've heard measure theory would be a nice boost for an application (according to Wharton Statistics admissions), but not something u must have.

Edited by edward130603

• 4 weeks later...

You'll be fine. Big name institutions are cool and all, but with a 3.9 and your background, unless its a for profit institution, I wouldn't worry. As long as you have decent to strong letters, I think you can send applications to 7-10 schools along the spectrum of the top 20 in the rankings and you'll get your pick of a few (or several) offers.

send me a pm for more personal advice