CSU San Marcos MSW Fall 2017

Catlover133

Hi everyone!

I applied to CSU San Marcos's 3 year MSW Program, I have a 3.6 GPA and over 1500 hours of work and volunteer experience. I haven't heard back yet. Is it true though that they cost double the amount of other CSU's? I know they charge $499 per unit and to graduate you need 60 units.

If anyone has any info or opinion on their program please let me know!

Edited by Catlover133

I attended an information session in November 2014 and the program wasn't yet accredited so be sure to check that.

There was also some reason why students could not get financial aid - it may have been because it was considered "continuing ed."  

And, again, this was over two years ago, so maybe things have changed.

With your GPA and experience, why aren't you considering a higher ranked program?

I couldn't possibly make a suggestion without knowing what your areas of interest are - clinical, macro, etc? Do you plan to continue on for a PhD? Is there a special population you enjoy - Veterans, Geriatric, Families, Women? 

Social work is so broad and many of the CSUs offer excellent programs - CSU Long Beach, CSUSF, CSULA, and I've heard CSU Sacramento is great for those interested in policy and government.

You can always check here for program rankings. 

On 1/29/2017 at 8:32 AM, BunnyMeadows said:

I couldn't possibly make a suggestion without knowing what your areas of interest are - clinical, macro, etc? Do you plan to continue on for a PhD? Is there a special population you enjoy - Veterans, Geriatric, Families, Women? 

Social work is so broad and many of the CSUs offer excellent programs - CSU Long Beach, CSUSF, CSULA, and I've heard CSU Sacramento is great for those interested in policy and government.

You can always check here for program rankings. 

I'm planning on working towards my LCSW after I get my MSW. I'm wanting to work with adults. The reason I chose a 3 year program is so I can work during the first semester.

They are also accredited now. I hope that I can get financial aide though, I really need it.