mistake on CV

caffeinatedK

Hi all,

I made a mistake on my CV, and I am not so sure whether it is a minor mistake or a major mistake. 

I am currently working in a laboratory, which is affiliated with the government as an associate research scientist in a foreign country. I am doing two grant-funded projects and these two projects are directly related to my research interests, so it is a big part on my CV.

I listed a specific amount of grants on my CV, but I found out I wrongly calculated the currency exchange, so I put the wrong US dollar number for one of the two projects. I should have put "$17,000 (USD)" but instead, I wrote "$20,000 (USD)" on my CV. 

I told one of the schools that I applied to that I put the wrong number on my CV during my interview, and they seemed okay with this, and I got into that school. 

Should I immediately notify other schools that I made a mistake on my CV?

Edited by caffeinatedK

It's not a big deal. You might ask to replace your old CV with an updated one because you found an error in the old version, but $3000 isn't that much of a difference when we're talking about these kinds of amounts. The thing I *would* make sure is clear and accurate is that if you worked on a project but were not the PI or otherwise the person who got the grant, it should be clear that the funding came from someone else. Misrepresenting someone else's grant as your own would be a much bigger issue than miscalculating the conversion rate. 

9 minutes ago, fuzzylogician said:

It's not a big deal. You might ask to replace your old CV with an updated one because you found an error in the old version, but $3000 isn't that much of a difference when we're talking about these kinds of amounts. The think I *would* make sure is accurate is that if you worked on a project but were not the PI or otherwise the person who got the grant, it should be clear that the funding came from someone else. Misrepresenting someone else's grant as your own would be a much bigger issue than miscalculating the conversion rate. 

Thanks fuzzylogician! I am the principal investigator for the two projects, but one professor in my lab is also acting as a principal investigator, so I wrote "Co-Principal Investigator (with Professor X)"on my CV.

I think I should ask graduate offices to replace my old CV. I thought it is too late to ask replace my CV, so I was thinking I should directly email to my POIs. 

Edited by caffeinatedK

2 minutes ago, fuzzylogician said:

I wouldn't email each POI separately. Find the most reasonable coordinator type person in each department (probably the dept admin) and write them. They'll be able to tell you who to contact, in case it's not them. 

Sounds good to me. I will do that. 

Thanks for the advice!