Is this a PUSH to accept the admission?

Chong0318

I am applying the MA program and got my first offer a couple of days ago (this is much early than I thought).  This school's specialty fit my interest very well, but the university is just in a "state level".  The department graduate coordinator wrote me the letter for congrats and said: "In order for you to be eligible for priority enrollment for fall 2017 classes, you need to go on-line and accept the offer of admission." and start to discuss for the courses I want to choose for the first term. The graduate school sent me the letter as well and wrote "We are in the process of preparing a formal admission letter and I-20 Certificate of Eligibility for you and will email options for express delivery to you in the next few days.  "

Both of them did not mention anything about deadline for consideration or program funding. I am also a little confused that does the I-20 Certificate send to international applicants only after the official accept?  I have not got answers from other schools yet and is this a push to accept their admission? What should I do? 

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Edited by Chong0318

Ask them about a deadline for the decision and mention that while you are very excited about the offer, you are still waiting to hear back from a few others schools and would like to have all the information available before making a decision. 

As for the I-20, if I remember correctly, I got one randomly in the mail from a school that I didn't end up attending, but not from any of the others. It was a little strange. But yeah, it happens. With all the immigration craziness going on right now, I wouldn't be surprised if schools have a policy of getting things done as soon as possible. Just don't do anything with it until you've accepted the offer. 

39 minutes ago, fuzzylogician said:

Ask them about a deadline for the decision and mention that while you are very excited about the offer, you are still waiting to hear back from a few others schools and would like to have all the information available before making a decision. 

As for the I-20, if I remember correctly, I got one randomly in the mail from a school that I didn't end up attending, but not from any of the others. It was a little strange. But yeah, it happens. With all the immigration craziness going on right now, I wouldn't be surprised if schools have a policy of getting things done as soon as possible. Just don't do anything with it until you've accepted the offer. 

Thanks so much for your quick reply! I just hope my answers of waiting for other schools feedback will not offend the offer schools' admission officer. 

44 minutes ago, Chong0318 said:

Thanks so much for your quick reply! I just hope my answers of waiting for other schools feedback will not offend the offer schools' admission officer. 

It's a common and very reasonable request, not one that should offend anyone at all. Good luck! 

10 hours ago, fuzzylogician said:

It's a common and very reasonable request, not one that should offend anyone at all. Good luck! 

Thank u, man! I got the reply about the funding from the department " A number of scholarships are available after you come here, but we do not have fellowships that pay tuition.  Very few universities in the United States have scholarships/fellowships for MA students."  How should I understand these words? 

Edited by Chong0318

1 hour ago, Chong0318 said:

Thank u, man! I got the reply about the funding from the department " A number of scholarships are available after you come here, but we do not have fellowships that pay tuition.  Very few universities in the United States have scholarships/fellowships for MA students."  How should I understand these words? 

I think this means that they do not guarantee any funding for your study. If you accept the offer and want some funding, you will need to apply and compete for the available scholarship in the university once you are officially a student there.

1 hour ago, CoffeeFueledAnxiety said:

I think this means that they do not guarantee any funding for your study. If you accept the offer and want some funding, you will need to apply and compete for the available scholarship in the university once you are officially a student there.

Thank you! That's also what I thought.