Asked to transfer application to M.Eng

GeorgeC07

Hi guys,

I got an email from Berkeley asking me to consider transferring my application to M.Eng, since I've already got a M.S.. So does this mean I probably won't be considered for Ph.D. program and will be rejected if I turn down this offer of M.Eng?

It's not such a big deal though, and pretty much what I expected from Berkeley, MIT and UT Austin. 

Good luck to you all.

This happened to me a few years ago. It is not an offer to M.Eng. It is a suggestion that you might fit better somewhere else. When that happened to me, I knew I wasn't getting in. I looked into the alternative program that was suggested to me and I couldn't figure what I had to offer it. So I emailed someone in that department asking why I might be a good fit, and also the person who emailed me asking me to change departments. They actually couldn't remember my application. I think it was just a flippant email they sent out. Like "Well, we don't want you, but maybe dept. X will." That's how it felt to me anyways.

33 minutes ago, redikulus said:

This happened to me a few years ago. It is not an offer to M.Eng. It is a suggestion that you might fit better somewhere else. When that happened to me, I knew I wasn't getting in. I looked into the alternative program that was suggested to me and I couldn't figure what I had to offer it. So I emailed someone in that department asking why I might be a good fit, and also the person who emailed me asking me to change departments. They actually couldn't remember my application. I think it was just a flippant email they sent out. Like "Well, we don't want you, but maybe dept. X will." That's how it felt to me anyways.

Nah, I definitely have no interest in their M.Eng program so I think I'll just wait for the formal rejection. I don't know whether this is better than no news at all or just rejection, it's quite confusing actually.