Statement of Intent... LENGTH??

mks114

I'm in the process of writing a few of these, and the schools seem to say, "no more than 2 pages", etc.

Does anyone know if they are sticklers for length and the formatting? If they say double space but you submit 1.5 space, will this be a negative factor in your application?

I'm trying to write these statements and 2 pages double-spaced is impossible! Maybe 2.5 pages would be alright...

THANKS!

For stuff like this I think it's a good idea to not exceed the stated length. If they say double space, you should space.

I don't think schools are generally impressed by statements that try to get around required length.

It's hard, but not impossible. Just go through and take out necessary words and sentences. I think shorter statements require more editing.

Not that I have a ton of experience or have gotten in anywhere...I do hear that it's best to be short and concise. I think it's easy to lose the reader's attention if it gets too long, and longer length kind of doesn't communicate focus. It's not necessary to put everything in there - just do what's most pertinent to your topic.

Hope this makes sense and isn't too preachy.

I don't think you need to worry too much about 1.5-spacing if it doesn't specifically say to double-space.

HOWEVER, 2 pages is really quite long so there's probably something you can cut. For my schools, two pages was the absolute longest specification I was given. Some of them wanted a statement of intent of no more than 250 words. 250 WORDS! It might as well have been a *^$%#@! Twitter post! If I did a 250 word one, you can do a two-pager without creative formatting, I'm sure of it.