Duke Nicholas School, Masters of Environmental Management

ligament

Question

I saw that someone posted that they got into the Master of Environmental Management program for F17, and if someone is willing to claim it, when did you submit the application? I spoke with the office and they said admissions was rolling so I wanted to see when I should expect to hear back.

21 answers to this question

I submitted that post! 

I submitted my application on December 15th. I wasn't really expecting to hear anything until March, so getting my results on Feb. 6th came as a bit of a shock. When did you submit your application?

Good luck! Did you apply anywhere else?

On 2/8/2017 at 3:31 PM, Minty_Tiger said:

I submitted that post! 

I submitted my application on December 15th. I wasn't really expecting to hear anything until March, so getting my results on Feb. 6th came as a bit of a shock. When did you submit your application?

Good luck! Did you apply anywhere else?

Congrats! I applied December 3rd, so I'm surprised I haven't heard back yet. However, my letters of recommendation and GRE scores were sent later so I wonder if that affected my timeframe in hearing back.

I only applied to Nicholas, so it's especially stressful meep. Have you heard back from anywhere else?

@ligament Review of your application is going to be contingent upon having your letters and GRE scores, so there's a high likelihood that if you sent them in later that's why you haven't heard anything yet. 

I heard back from Berkeley ERG yesterday. Rejection. I'm bummed, but if I had gotten in I would have been shocked. 

I'm still waiting to hear back from Yale, UCSB, and Michigan. 

What specialization did you apply to @ Nic?

I actually applied for Masters in Forestry (although I intend on a dual MF/MEM w/ ESC concentration). I'm under the impression that the admissions committee moreso sees applications as applications for the Nicholas School, and not for the intended Masters or concentration. This is coming from two conversations I had with Dean Urban and the Admissions Office. 

As an aside, I still haven't heard anything back either. 

Edited by wildwarbler

Accepted into Duke today! So incredibly excited, although the cost of tuition + living is looming over me.

In terms of research, I'm broadly interested in avian population and range shifts with respect to climate change and anthropogenic disturbance. I will say that Duke is my first choice, although the choice of a fully funded M.S. would be mighty attractive. 

Congrats!!! 

Sounds like a interesting research area. I've had to do a bit of work involving impacts to avian species from wind and solar development. 

Duke is definitely not cheap, but Durham looks fairly affordable. Are you planning on going to the admitted student's weekend? 

Probably not, unfortunately don't think I'll have the time to. I do wish some other MEM-applicants would participate here, although there's really no centralized thread for us to post on. Currently scrambling to submit all my financial information, ack. 

Yeah, it's pretty quiet in here...

I'm only going for one of the days. If you're coming from NY you'd be eligible for a $250 travel reimbursement, just FYI.

Good luck with the FAFSA and CSS profile. My stuff was submitted to Duke on the 13th, and their system doesn't say they've received it yet, I'm not worried about it though. If your stuff hasn't been processed by the deadline don't stress, they're probably swamped. 

I have just been asked to have a Skype interview. Pretty surprising, since I have not heard from them for so long while seeing you guys being admitted since Feb, I thought I had already been rejected 

Good luck to your all's financial aid!

@wildwarbler  

I have also been admitted into Master of Forestry program! Have you received your financial aid package yet? Mine is 9000 per year merit-based scholarship. I have emailed them to clarify with my CSS IDOC submission and to appeal for need-based grant, hopefully they can have a few thousand more per year to spare... Any less debt is good news to me

Also, did your acceptance letter mention any prerequisite requirements or something? I never took calculus and microeconomics course during university. If the school asks me to take up courses before matriculation, it will increase the financial stress even further until I will wonder if it is still all worth it :( Really struggling to choose between Duke MF (prestige) and University of Toronto's MFC program (less cost) now...

Hi all,

Congrats on all those accepted into the Yale and Duke Enviro (and all other) programs!! And very best of luck to everyone starting classes soon.

This might be a bit intrusive in the thread - but I'm very interested in pursuing my masters in environmental sciences, and Yale/Duke are pretty much my dream schools. I'm considering a couple others (ex: U Chicago, Berkeley, Johns Hopkins) as well, and I'm struggling with the "do I retake my GRE?" question, how will my resume compare to others, etc, etc.

Of course you can never really know how the admissions office will weigh things, but if anyone here is willing to share their admissions experience with me (scores, tips, etc), I would greatly appreciate it!

Edited by animadelmondo

Hi All,

I don't know if this post is still running, but I'm applying for Fall 2019 and have a couple of format questions about the application. Particulary, how descriptive were y'all in your "Employment" history section? Did you go into more detail than is on your resume, did you use the pronoun "I" or did you leave it more like a resume description? 

Thanks for any help.