MFA Photography 2010

jojobee

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, ATumble, it's unbearable, isn't it? If I may, where are you applying? Me: Yale, Columbia, NYU, and RCA (UK). I know it's a massive risk to only apply to the cream of the crop, but if I'm going to be in debt, I should be so in style, right?

Edited by jojobee

Oh, ATumble, it's unbearable, isn't it? If I may, where are you applying? Me: Yale, Columbia, NYU, and RCA (UK). I know it's a massive risk to only apply to the cream of the crop, but if I'm going to be in debt, I should be so in style, right?

Yeah, I keep thinking about what I'm going to do if I don't get in anywhere. I applied to 8 schools(Sculpture): Columbia, SAIC, Yale, Hunter, UCLA, Calarts, Univ of Washington, Slade (also UK)

I was repeating that list to relatives the other day while thinking...I can't believe I only applied to the most competitive schools. UW is the least competitive but there are still at least 100-200 applicants most likely. They have a new interdisciplinary 3-d program which combined the ceramics dept (which was nationally recognized) and sculpture, public art, glass. So there might be more competition than years past. When I was picking out schools to apply to, I was thinking the same thing. Might as well apply to only the schools I would actually REALLY want to attend. Ha! I guess I'll find out whether or not that was a good idea.

Same Here too!! I just sent of the last of my applications. I applied to some competitive and some a little less...but I'm still freaking out!

Im applying for photography at: SAIC, Parsons, Rutgers, University of Washington, Florida State university, and University of Houston.

ATumble: my prof's wife did the MFA in sculpture at Yale and sings its praises. Fingers crossed for you! I haven't heard of Slade; I'll have to look it up! Maybe we'll both end up in the UK, eh? Re: more competition than years past -- yeah, I'm worried that like last year, due to the floundering economy, unprecedented masses will flock to grad school.

mbadger: those are some serious programs, too! Good luck!! I wish I'd known more about SAIC. I think I would've liked to apply. Your top choice?

If I don't get in anywhere, I think I'll move to another country and work as a carnie. Something practical.

I own a home/studio in DC. So, I want to kind of stay local.

My schools:

MICA, VCU and GMU

(GMU has hinted at a full fellowship...I am looking for full funding.)

Low residency:

AIB, MECA, BARD

I heard it was highly competitive this year. rolleyes.gif

I don't know if I can wait a month!!!!!

Well, I applied to a few schools I liked, not to say loved. U of N Las Vegas, WashU, U of Penn and hoping for funding at rutgers(already accepted from last year) for photo. I would say my dream school would be Yale, studying under Mr. Crewdson but no thank you to debt. Id rather live to work rather than work to live and pay off 100k in debt. I dont plan on going without near full funding. I guess it will be a couple months of holding my breathe waiting to know what im doing for the next couple years. Im far removed from knowing if the schools are reputable but I liked most of the work coming out of them. The instructors looked respectable as well.

Honestly, I would looove to go to any of the schools I applied to, especially if there was some funding involved. lol. But of course, I would love to get into SAIC...even with the possibility of less funding. I heard that it was highly competitive, but then I also heard that because of the application boom last year, this year may be slightly less competitive (not sure if that's saying much considering). Fingers crossed for that one!

littlenova, Yeah FSU is sort of random I guess...but they have a really decent program, is a great research school, and often offer great funding...plus I have a lot of family there. I tried to keep my eye open to underrated programs as well.

jojobee, I think being a carnie sounds like a great backup plan! I need to come up with something too I guess. haha

Do you watch the mailbox and freak out when any unknown number calls your phone EVEN though some of the deadlines haven't even passed yet??? Ahhhh!! Ridiculous. But it's too much holding your breath to calm down.

littlenova: Location's really important to me too. Definitely a smart move to stay local if you're happy where you are! I also think that's a strong argument for why you want to be in certain programs. Sending good vibes your way!

nathan: A belated congrats on Rutgers! I hope all the schools will be more generous this year! Also, I remember checking out your flickr before and I actually thought a few of your Moment pieces were a touch Crewdson-esque. You have really striking work! Best of luck!

mbadger: When I'm a carnie, I shall put in a good word to the other carnies for you ;)! And yes. I should just go ahead and duct tape my phone to my left hand. I've taken to sleeping with it under my pillow. Shhh.

Watch out w/ the RCA. I got in last year - they don't offer any financial aid - and they charge US student between seven and eight times what the British Residents pay. So essentially you're paying for 7 other students to attend. This isn't including the outrageous cost of living of London. I was really disappointed - they have an amazing program and I'm constantly impressed with their graduates. Slade, Goldsmiths offer a bit of funding to foreign students, but not the RCA. You can get student loan in the states for them though. But yeah, I had to turn them down, I couldn't stomach the idea that I was there possibly to fund a bunch of other students education.

Helen: thanks for looking out! Yeah, RCA is notoriously expensive for internationals. Luckily, I have family in the area so I wouldn't have to worry about housing, at least--that is, if I get in (dun dun dun). Congrats on getting in last year! I think, even if they want to leech money from us, they want to do so from top notch students! So, well done either way, I say! Are you reapplying?

No, unfortunately I didn't. I don't know a lot of schools that respond well to rejection. I've never heard of anyone rejecting a school then getting in on a second application.

But yeah, I'm bummed - I was a perfect fit for the department. I loved the faculty and students and I really felt that I fit in well there. I just can't figure it out financially. Yale, Columbia - at least funding is an option.

But yeah, main reason I didn't reapply - I can't stand london. I'm a hard core New Yorker. I have a life here and I really like it.

Helen: thanks for looking out! Yeah, RCA is notoriously expensive for internationals. Luckily, I have family in the area so I wouldn't have to worry about housing, at least--that is, if I get in (dun dun dun). Congrats on getting in last year! I think, even if they want to leech money from us, they want to do so from top notch students! So, well done either way, I say! Are you reapplying?

Yeah FSU is sort of random I guess...but they have a really decent program, is a great research school, and often offer great funding...plus I have a lot of family there. I tried to keep my eye open to underrated programs as well.

I was also pleasantly surprised when I started looking outside of the main list of photo mfa programs. I did a tour of about 6 schools on the east coast and it turns out there are some amazing programs and faculty. For example, I almost skipped UMass Dartmouth because I was very underwhelmed by their website, but when I visited, the faculty were insightful and supportive, and it turns out almost all of their grads have great teaching jobs (which is what I'd like to do). I was also seriously turned off by a couple of places that looked great on the web, I highly recommend visiting if possible. When I put together a list, I was pretty restricted by geography (either stay in NM or move to New England), so the final list turned out to be:

UNM

UMass Dartmouth

UMass Amherst

RISD

MassArt

I think I put together a good mix, and I'd be happy at any of them (provided I get funding), so we'll see what happens.

shutterbug: Yay! Another photog! This is my first time applying for grad school and if I were to go through it again, I'd definitely like to research more schools that are off the beaten path. UMass Dartmouth sounds awesome! I'm definitely big on teaching, too. And as much as I appreciate flashy websites, you're definitely right that a visit can result in a "Uh... This is nothing like the photos and pretty promises."

@Mbadger: That's cool that you are looking at all your possibilities. I actually like all the schools on your list and am familiar with them. Houston is especially cool, because you have Fotofest each year. biggrin.gif I hail from Florida and know alot about FSU. Thus, the wondering. Maybe it's grown since I last visited. I know UF had a great undergrad program.

@Shutterbug: Great list! Good luck...I thought MassArt only offered an MFA in Studio. Maybe I am thinking of their low-residency. I almost applied for that and went with MECA instead.

jojobee: mostly what I discovered from visits was quirks in the curriculum that weren't clear on the website, and major personality clashes that you just don't know about until you meet someone. At one school I visited, my potential advisor was combative and aggressive and really threw me off guard. She began the conversation by listing off other places I should or shouldn't apply including directly insulting some of my choices. On top of which, she showed me her new work that isn't published anywhere, and it's completely different than her old work, and frankly I'm not a fan. Needless to say, the visit was very enlightening and that school was immediately crossed off the list.

littlenova: MassArt has a full time MFA program in Boston with some great faculty (Laura Mcfee and Abelardo Morell), and from what I can figure it's about the same size as RISD's photo program. But, word on the street is that Morell is retiring soon, so if I'm admitted, I'll have to do some more investigating. On a different note, low-residency is an interesting option that I considered. Ultimately though, I figured out that funding is a lot more limited and I wouldn't get any teaching experience so I decided to skip it. I was going to apply to all the same places (Bard, AIB, MECA) but one thing I kept running into again and again was lack of photo faculty (with the exception of Bard). I'm not opposed to a general studio art program, but there are certain things about photography that just don't apply to the rest of the studio arts, and I think it's necessary to have supportive faculty in that regard.

I think it would be useful for future users of this forum if we compiled a list of small, virtually unknown MFA programs that turned out to be awesome. I'm thinking of UMass Dartmouth and FSU because they've already been mentioned here, but are there others? The biggest difficulty I had in researching schools was that there are so many small programs that I just didn't have the time to thoroughly investigate all of them, much less travel around the country visiting all of them. There are probably tons of fabulous programs that aren't on the US News list, and if you found one, I'd love to hear about it!

@ Shutterbug: Abe Morell's work is INSANE! I love his camera obscura stuff....Never knew he taught at MassArt! Awesome!! Good luck!!!laugh.gif

I found BARD and MECA to have excellent photo faculty. Many of them have taught at Hunter and Columbia. That being said, they are HIGHLY conceptual programs and do not look at the media in a traditional way. AIB's program is really not a photo program at all. They are doing more stuff with installation and video...but, I really liked that. AIB was sort of my "backup" school.

Teaching experience wasn't a factor in my decision, because I find that your exhibition record and body of work opens way more doors. I have been teaching at the community college for 2 years and I think...it's about the work...almost everywhere.

To each his own, ya know...I mean, what really constitutes a good program for one may not be the best for another. A list would be great, but really...You should see the faculty's work....the work coming out of the school...and see if it's a good fit for you.

For example, I make really personal work. My work isn't political or trendy...it's highly personal. If I could go ANYWHERE without the limitations of geography or like money or whatever....I would go to Syracuse. That program is unbelievable. The work is so good. Doug Dubois is a big hero of mine. And Lightwork is right there. I even think I would rather go there over a top program. I mean, for me. That place would fit the kind of work I'd like to see myself doing more of.

But, that might be a weird choice to some. tongue.gif

US News does not dictate where you fit into a program or the kind of work you want to be making.

@Jojobee: I am really nervous, too. The sucky thing is...Many of my programs aren't getting back to people until MARCH. bleh.

I think I might spontaneously combust before then.lol.laugh.gif

ATumble: my prof's wife did the MFA in sculpture at Yale and sings its praises. Fingers crossed for you! I haven't heard of Slade; I'll have to look it up! Maybe we'll both end up in the UK, eh? Re: more competition than years past -- yeah, I'm worried that like last year, due to the floundering economy, unprecedented masses will flock to grad school.

mbadger: those are some serious programs, too! Good luck!! I wish I'd known more about SAIC. I think I would've liked to apply. Your top choice?

If I don't get in anywhere, I think I'll move to another country and work as a carnie. Something practical.

yeah, at first I was applying to Yale cause I knew it was a great school in general but I didn't know how good sculpture was compared to the painting dept...but so far, I've been hearing really good things.

The UK would be amazing! *sigh*

I got a question for those of you who are planning on going to a state school vs a private art school. What do you think (or have you heard) the competition will be for teaching positions after school? Portfolios aside. Maybe its also the connections we make in the cities where we are getting our MFA and showing our work. Im not sure what to expect when i graduate. I haven't asked my undergrad professors because they weren't real go getters so to speak. ;)

Edited by nathancotephoto

My professor put it this way: If you are expecting to get a teaching job right out of your mfa or ever really...FORGEDABOUDID! Ok, well not in so few words...but he did point out that competition for university teaching jobs is definitely fierce. There are a handful (ok not literally but you get the picture) of universities across the country all with filled positions. Pretty much anyone employed with these universities will stay with them until they retire or possibly be promoted or the rare chance that they get ultra rich or famous from their artwork alone and decide to quit. So when there is actually an opening, think of how many just graduated and long graduated mfa's are out there scouting for a job. I go to a small town university with an excellent art program in my opinion, but not one that is known or sought after. There was an opening for a teaching position last year and a ridiculous amount of people applied from all over the country.

That being said, I really want to get a teaching job at the university level after my mfa. lol. Do I expect to get one? Not necessarily, but I'm hoping to get one. And I'm just being realistic about my chances. And as far as I've heard...portfolio and resume etc play a large role in getting jobs...even outside of the art world and more in the realm of academia. And all of my professors have said to get your mfa in a city where you want to live for a while because it's really about developing a name and record for yourself in said place in order to get jobs and opportunities. So...good luck to us all for getting into school...and then good luck to us seeking jobs after school!!! hahaha

I got my BFA from a public uni and I only knew of two MFA's who got university level teaching jobs after graduation and they were all at middle of nowhere state schools. There were also a handful of MFA's who got teaching jobs at two year colleges and smaller private art academies. However there were plenty of MFA's who never got any sort of teaching post even though almost all of them had at least a couple of TAships. It seemed to me, that the ones who did get jobs were all a bit older(coincidence?) and their work was more "safe". One MFA who got a professor job had maybe the 3rd or 4th best portfolio out of all the applicants but had the best interview so he got the job. So perhaps they are looking for a combination of good work but more importantly someone who'd better at teaching/speaking?

When I was in undergrad, I expressed my insecurities of going into art professionally and my prof said something like: you'll go to grad school, TA for a few classes, and after graduating you'll get a teaching post somewhere.

So it's not impossible, ESPECIALLY if you are willing to live in the middle of nowhere. In places like NY, it's really hard because there are sooo many artists. Big art schools like SVA just rotate adjunct faculty because they can pay them less and there is never a shortage of qualified applicants.

So there's hope! Sort of. :)