MFA Photography 2010

jojobee

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

littlenova: Doug Dubois + Low residency = http://www.hartfordphotomfa.org/

the deadline isn't until March, so you'll have some time to figure things out and get an application together if you're interested. I would totally apply, but low residency just isn't going to work for me. That said, I only know what they tell you on the website, so if you find out any additional info, I'd be curious to know. Good luck!

@Shutterbug: SHUT.UP!!!!!!!!!!tongue.gifI love his work. I actually might apply there. I'd have to rustle up another batch of recommendation letters last minute...but....MIGHT BE WORTH IT. I think he is amazing. I have never heard of that school, though. That scares me a bit. Something to definitely think about, though. Thank you so much!!!!

Regarding the teaching topic:

Ya know...I sometimes teach darkroom lab at a local community college. I have 4 good friends that went to top programs and all got teaching positions after college. Almost all were adjunct positions. Tenured positions are few and far between. If your work is strong, I think finding adjunct positions are pretty doable. Most of my friends scrape by with grants, freelance and other arts opportunities in addition to teaching.

That being said, I really don't think the main goal for an MFA candidate should be to teach. I think you have to make a name for yourself...contribute to your field. Teaching becomes a natural progression in your career. It's getting more and more competitive, because the art business is booming and MFAs are on the rise. (Unlike 10 years ago, when many of our undergrad professors may have started their careers.) Universities want to see fat CVs with meaningful experience.

I always say that my decision to get an MFA is not career-driven...but, more a time to solidify my direction as an artist. We could probably make twice the money doing commercial work.

I see a long road ahead with not very much monetary compensation. But, I can't see myself doing anything else.

@Shutterbug: SHUT.UP!!!!!!!!!!tongue.gifI love his work. I actually might apply there. I'd have to rustle up another batch of recommendation letters last minute...but....MIGHT BE WORTH IT. I think he is amazing. I have never heard of that school, though. That scares me a bit. Something to definitely think about, though. Thank you so much!!!!

The reason you never heard of it is that it's a brand spakin' new program- this is its first year. I would be a bit scared about it too, but the faculty all seem to be top notch professionals in the field, and thus far, the program itself has gotten favorable press from the upper echelons of the academic photo world. If you're seriously interested, I would just call them up and ask them about all the details that you can think of. I'm sure that because it's a new program, they're expecting to answer all sorts of questions.

Doug Dubois is a great professor. He's certainly gotten more attention and appreciation for his personal work since his book came out at Aperture. I went to Syracuse University for a BFA and although it is a small community and faculty, it's a pretty good program. Certainly the majority of the works that came out of Syracuse from MFA students have been more personal-related, whether it be series about families or home towns. There's a lot of influence from the professors and MFA students definitely choose the program there for that. What was wonderful about being in Syracuse was Light Work. Although there's been many changes since graduating, they continue to bring in emerging and well-known fine art photographers for residencies. I was glad to work at the darkrooms at Light Work. (Sadly they got rid of the color processor at Light Work and turned it into a fancy large format digital printing lab.. which is great but I know people miss it.)

Though.. as much as I liked it there for my BFA, I wanted to escape the cold and snow-filled winters.

Anyways.. I'm curious about the Hartford program.. but still a bit wary since it's a brand new program and there bounds to be issues. Plus I would rather not commit almost 3 years for a MFA. Also, I'm sure the costs will be too much to handle with flights to different cities every so often.

Well, I officially got my first rejection yesterday from UNM. I was kind of expecting it, but what really stings is that I talked to the admissions coordinator for the art department the day before I got the letter, and she told me that my application is marked as complete and that I would be hearing about the decision sometime in mid March. The letter I got was dated 2/1/10 so she must have known! They must have really not liked me to reject me so early. Boo. Now I have a month and half to wait for any good news while I sit on this one. I'm really wishing I had applied to Syracuse. I didn't really know anything about it until you all started chatting it up. Oh well, four more to go, I guess I'll have to wait and see what happens.

Edited by shutterbug

@Shutterbug: Bummer. Sorry, man. sad.gif I know that feeling. It's a feeling we all can relate to at some point in our careers---even after this grad-school process. (residencies, funding, grants...Rejection is part of our business, right?) Sometimes it's just not in the cards. Don't let it effect your work or your hope for finding the right program, though! Still so early in the game...

Almost bizarre that you found out so soon! (It almost makes me wonder if it was something like a formality in paperwork or something?)

We'll cross our fingers for the schools that haven't reported yet!

@Shutterbug: Sorry to hear that. I agree with Littlenova and I'm trying to tell myself all of those things while I nurse my wound from my SAIC rejection letter that I got today. Let's all hope for some good news soon! And march is way too far away to wait for that. ugh

Sorry about SAIC mbadger. Rejection totally blows, thanks for commiserating with me. My husband gave me 24 hours to mope about it, but now that it's over it's not so bad. Since all the rest of my apps were to east coast schools, having the rejection from UNM completely eliminates an entire "what if" scenario that I don't have to worry about anymore. And it turns out that he has some really great career opportunities there that we just found out about, and he'll be able to take advantage of it no matter where I get in. So I'm trying to look on the bright side, and hopefully I can find something to occupy myself with until the rest of the letters come in. Hopefully they won't all be rejections.

Edited by shutterbug

@mbadger: Dang! SAIC was quick, too,huh? My friend got an interview this week. They are not messing around...I imagine schools like MICA or the ones effected by the blizzard will probably take alot longer to report. Everything is closed here and won't be up until the end of the week...Then, we have a holiday Monday...Ugh! Waiting sucks.

@nathancotephoto: I apologize for my wordiness here. My sense is that there's plenty of teaching work for MFAs old and new in the USA. It's the kind of work that's in question.

IMHO, what's rare is full-time teaching work with middle-class pay and benefits. What's also rare is leveraging an MFA and part-time teaching experience into full-time teaching work with middle-class pay and benefits. These things are so rare that new full-time hires can take inordinate pride in beating the odds. Sometimes lightning does strike.

But, if you don't mind cobbling together a very small income with few benefits, there's tons of work "adjunct" teaching. Your students won't distinguish you, as an adjunct, from the full-timers. (Actually, it's the full-timers who are most alert to this status.) These part-time jobs will leave you impoverished in your old age, so you don't want to work at them for more than a few years if you can help it. This is especially true if you're not anticipating a healthy-sized inheritance or marriage into wealth or steady gallery sales. So yes, you can teach.

Edited by Andre Friedmann

I am applying for the first time to a graduate program. I am not from the US and haven't been able to visit any of the schools I have applied to :-/

Would be helpful to hear thoughts on these;

Yale photo

RISD

MassArts

Columbia Univ

ICP-Bard

University of New Mexico.

Hmmm....Getting nervous...

MICA-no response (other departments are reporting, though.)

VCU-no response, but I did get a call that other departments are interested in viewing my work (film) and my friend who is a student there mentioned an interview looks "likely".

GMU-acceptance verbally and fellowship consideration; waiting on written acceptance with aid package

AIB-interview

MECA-no response

dry.gifwaiting worrying waiting stinks.

• 2 weeks later...

I am still awaiting to hear from RIT. I have a friend that got an email of acceptance, but I haven't heard anything from them... I wonder if I have been rejected??? Hmmm....