For Brown applicants

mario

How is it that people already got accepted into the Political Science PhD program when their deadline is Feb? I don't get it. Is it rolling admissions? I don't think so. I am looking at the 'results search' for Brown.

Edited by achat

I'm not applying to Brown, but I thought those of you who don't read gossip news (not that I do!) might be interested in this tidbit: Hermione Granger (err... the actress who plays her in the movies, I mean) has been at Brown for undergrad for a year (or so). Anyway, a lot of folks are saying that's why Brown's -undergrad- applicant pool has skyrocketed. And no, the trend isn't across the board, so to speak, in the sense that Brown's seen an unprecedented rise that puts their numbers above and beyond, say, Yale's.

I'm not applying to Brown, but I thought those of you who don't read gossip news (not that I do!) might be interested in this tidbit: Hermione Granger (err... the actress who plays her in the movies, I mean) has been at Brown for undergrad for a year (or so). Anyway, a lot of folks are saying that's why Brown's -undergrad- applicant pool has skyrocketed. And no, the trend isn't across the board, so to speak, in the sense that Brown's seen an unprecedented rise that puts their numbers above and beyond, say, Yale's.

That's a funny theory. As a high school English teacher who teaches mostly seniors, that has the ring of truth. Last year, three of the only four Ivy applications of the senior class's 55 kids were kids applying to Brown (two of the three were accepted). As a whole, my students are Harry Potter-frenzied (they were exactly the right age for it when the books and movies were coming out).

But that's undergrad. For grad, I've heard rumors of at least several of the Ivies getting unprecedented numbers this year, at least in English. I'm inclined to blame the economy - more applicants who are less informed, and thus more likely to apply based on perceived prestige, combined with the perception that public universities are the ones primarily suffering from budget cuts, etc. Although you're right, that doesn't explain why Brown in particular.

Edited by intextrovert

That's a funny theory. As a high school English teacher who teaches mostly seniors, that has the ring of truth. Last year, three of the only four Ivy applications of the senior class's 55 kids were kids applying to Brown (two of the three were accepted).

I really love that as their teacher, you took the time to boast about your students on this board! :D Congrats to your students! I still remember the sting of waitlist-and-reject from Brown for undergrad... Sigh. How time flies.

I really love that as their teacher, you took the time to boast about your students on this board! :D Congrats to your students! I still remember the sting of waitlist-and-reject from Brown for undergrad... Sigh. How time flies.

Haha. You got me. What can I say - I love the little critters!

Another Brown poli sci acceptance. I looked at data (from Brown http://gradschool.brown.edu/resources/datasocial_1222197286.pdf">http://gradschool.brown.edu/resources/datasocial_1222197286.pdf) saying in 2007 they made 7 offers and 4 matriculated. Can anyone really tell me they made over half of their offers, or at least 30% of their offers, before their non-rolling deadline? Can these admissions be real?

Another Brown poli sci acceptance. I looked at data (from Brown http://gradschool.brown.edu/resources/datasocial_1222197286.pdf">http://gradschool.brown.edu/resources/datasocial_1222197286.pdf) saying in 2007 they made 7 offers and 4 matriculated. Can anyone really tell me they made over half of their offers, or at least 30% of their offers, before their non-rolling deadline? Can these admissions be real?

first of all, holy cow! its scary to see they only accept 7! and yeah, it does seem a bit weird. the fact that no one has come forward to claim that they have been accepted by brown is also suspicious. but then again, i cant deny i'm extremely anxious to see those acceptances on the results page and nothing in my inbox :)

• 2 weeks later...