Masters requirement?

katalytik

Even though the programs say that "masters is not required", the reality is that the entering class has almost everyone with masters. This is definitely the case in the places I applied to.

What about the rest of the programs? Is it required? Or is it an unstated requirement?

I am not sure if the masters is as important as relevant research or work experience.

Depending on the program ( I do not know much about your area) but they sometimes like to have someone without a masters. That way, the school can teach you how to do things their way. If you come into the schools and used to doing it this way, they have to re teach you. But also, if you have a masters you know more than the average person. So you never know!

One data point: I went to an interview last weekend where there were 13 people interviewing for my subfield, and only one of them was still in undergrad. Everyone else was either working on a Masters or doing some other related research work (usually working in a lab). One of the profs said they tend to like people with more experience. There are definitely some programs that have an unspoken rule about not coming straight from undergrad, and I bet you could find that out by looking at the CVs of current students!

One data point: I went to an interview last weekend where there were 13 people interviewing for my subfield, and only one of them was still in undergrad. Everyone else was either working on a Masters or doing some other related research work (usually working in a lab). One of the profs said they tend to like people with more experience. There are definitely some programs that have an unspoken rule about not coming straight from undergrad, and I bet you could find that out by looking at the CVs of current students!

This is exactly what I have seen even though no one openly states work experience, or masters required. I think with the economy doing badly, we have a lot of people with more degrees and more work experience applying to PhD programs. The programs I think like this because they can contribute their experience to the program and also may be more focused. Whatever it is, I'm seeing the same trend at the programs I applied to.