What are my chances of getting into Boston U MSW Program?

laurenelisab

I am a recent graduate from the University of Michigan. I have a BA in Psychology and minored in Spanish. My first 1.5 years of college, I attended Western Michigan University where I studied Biomedical Sciences and had a 3.81 GPA. While I was there, I volunteered at the local hospital as a Patient Representative, supporting patients in their time of need (so, some form of social work experience). I transferred to UMich halfway through my sophomore year and ended up doing pretty poorly in my biology courses there. I ended up changing my major to just Psychology, and my cumulative GPA from UM was, sadly, a 3.21. I was in an a cappella group throughout my time at UM and did research with the Strong Military Families Program and the Emotion & Self Control Lab. I still volunteer as a research assistant and have also worked at the School of Social Work in the department of Continuing Ed here. I have a lot of customer service (retail, restaurant, etc..) experience and have always worked a part-time job on top of school. I also studied abroad in Spain, which is something I discussed in my personal statement. I have absolutely no idea what the acceptance rate is at Boston University, but it is my dream school. If anyone knows anything about how competitive it is to get into their MSW program, please chance me. 

Honestly, I applied to BU back in 2013 so I am truly no expert but I do not find that BU nor any other MSW program is too competitive. I believe that if you have the drive and you can articulate it through writing, then you are OK. also why not reach out to a faculty member who has similar interests to you? Its worth a shot :)

I applied to BU back in 2014 with a not-so-stellar GPA. I made sure to have a very strong personal statement and I took the GRE. I found all the programs I applied to were receptive to my open and honest discussion of my challenges in undergrad and focused on other aspects of my application beyond my grades. I had extensive clinical research experience, which strengthened my application for sure. Thankfully, I was accepted to all of the places to which I applied (BU was the first place I was accepted to) and I graduated last May with my MSW from BC. Good luck to you!