Another interview question

IggAb

I have already had 1 interview and have another coming up in a couple weeks. I am wondering if it is acceptable to mention the other places I applied to during the interview. I know interviewers like to ask "where else have you applied?", but how much detail should I go into?

Specifically, my situation is this: at School A, I was interviewed by Professor X who pretty much told me he would accept me into his lab as a grad student. At my upcoming interview at School B, I will likely encounter Profs. Y and Z, who happen to be close colleagues of Prof. X. Should I bring up Prof. X during the interview with Profs. Y and Z? I was thinking it may be a good conversation topic, especially if I am running out of things in common to talk about.

I am not particularly interested in working with Profs. Y and Z (their work is too theoretical), but rather with another prof at School B. Hence, I'm not trying to impress them or anything like that (of course I will want them to like me). I'm just wondering if it's OK to bring up Prof. X in the course of conversation.

Thanks for any ideas.

I have already had 1 interview and have another coming up in a couple weeks. I am wondering if it is acceptable to mention the other places I applied to during the interview. I know interviewers like to ask "where else have you applied?", but how much detail should I go into?

Specifically, my situation is this: at School A, I was interviewed by Professor X who pretty much told me he would accept me into his lab as a grad student. At my upcoming interview at School B, I will likely encounter Profs. Y and Z, who happen to be close colleagues of Prof. X. Should I bring up Prof. X during the interview with Profs. Y and Z? I was thinking it may be a good conversation topic, especially if I am running out of things in common to talk about.

I am not particularly interested in working with Profs. Y and Z (their work is too theoretical), but rather with another prof at School B. Hence, I'm not trying to impress them or anything like that (of course I will want them to like me). I'm just wondering if it's OK to bring up Prof. X in the course of conversation.

Thanks for any ideas.

If you prefer working with Professor X, and if you're sure he's going to offer you a position, why would you even want to interview at school B? Also, if you get accepted at school B, would you prefer school B over school A because of the other professor at school B you're interested in working with? If that is the case, you might want to put on your best front at the interview..tell them that you're interested, etc and don't go into too much detail over Prof X's work and how excited you are about that. Y and Z may be close colleagues of X but when it comes to getting the best grad students possible, nobody cares if they are friends or not. They will want the best students for themselves. So if you prefer B over A because of the "other" professor at B, try to get accepted at B and then tell A (X) that you are rejecting their offer. If you prefer A over B anyway, don't interview at all! Its a tough year just like the last, give up the spot to another student.

Good luck with your decision.

Edited by liszt85

It seems to me that there are two issues here:

1) Would you actually want to work in those other labs? If not, no need to go unless you want to make connections in the field and think you can do it without annoying anyone for wasting their time; in which case you'll want to make the best impression you can. If you would attend, even if as a last resort, go to the interview and give the best impression you can.

2) If you do go, should you mention the first professor? This process is kind of like a job search in that, no matter how enthusiastic a professor is, you're not really in until you've been officially notified. Not to be too morbid, but he could get his by a bus tomorrow and you'd be out of luck. There are too many ways for it to go south. He could turn out to be a crazy person. But, that said, it sounds like you're in a great position. You could mention him, as in "people you know in common and whose work you admire," not in terms of "the person I'd rather work with." That shouldn't cause any problem, and might add to their impression of you.

Good luck!

It seems to me that there are two issues here:

1) Would you actually want to work in those other labs? If not, no need to go unless you want to make connections in the field and think you can do it without annoying anyone for wasting their time; in which case you'll want to make the best impression you can. If you would attend, even if as a last resort, go to the interview and give the best impression you can.

2) If you do go, should you mention the first professor? This process is kind of like a job search in that, no matter how enthusiastic a professor is, you're not really in until you've been officially notified. Not to be too morbid, but he could get his by a bus tomorrow and you'd be out of luck. There are too many ways for it to go south. He could turn out to be a crazy person. But, that said, it sounds like you're in a great position. You could mention him, as in "people you know in common and whose work you admire," not in terms of "the person I'd rather work with." That shouldn't cause any problem, and might add to their impression of you.

Good luck!

I have to agree with point #2. I think its best to hedge your bets until someone actually gives you the official acceptance. I have an interview coming up to find out if the fit is right. I have no idea what that means, but I'm gonna need to be careful. I like the PIs work, but I hope he does not trap me by asking me that "if we give you a spot, will you come here" question. Its hard to say anything until I have a acceptance, and I would be happy at any of the places I applied for. Just getting into one of the places would make me happy, but I don't want to lean. Anyone have a good idea about this? Two questions:

1. What sorts of "fit" questions are asked?

2. If they trap you with the "if we give you a spot, will you come here" question, what do you guys do with it on the spot?

I have to agree with point #2. I think its best to hedge your bets until someone actually gives you the official acceptance. I have an interview coming up to find out if the fit is right. I have no idea what that means, but I'm gonna need to be careful. I like the PIs work, but I hope he does not trap me by asking me that "if we give you a spot, will you come here" question. Its hard to say anything until I have a acceptance, and I would be happy at any of the places I applied for. Just getting into one of the places would make me happy, but I don't want to lean. Anyone have a good idea about this? Two questions:

1. What sorts of "fit" questions are asked?

2. If they trap you with the "if we give you a spot, will you come here" question, what do you guys do with it on the spot?

Thanks for the advice everyone. I actually like both schools, and I want to have acceptances from both before I make the big decision. Last year I was only accepted to one school and it turned out not to be a good fit, so I was left with no choice but to decline. That being said, school B does seem to have a better program, so it will probably be my first choice unless something at the interview visit convinces me otherwise.

As for your questions, katalytic, in my experience the interviewers like to ask about your past experiences and future interests to determine your "fit". Basically, they want to know if what you want to do is related to their strengths as a department. For these questions, try to "spin" your answers so that you emphasize these aspects when you are discussing your past research/future intended research, even if they are not perfectly in line with what that school does.

I have never encountered a "if we give you a spot, will you come here" situation, and I really don't think that's a fair question to ask on their part. I think it is expected for prospective students to apply to more than one school and be given a chance to look at all options. I would be wary of any school that puts you on the spot like that.