Does this sound like a phone interview?

I got an email from a prof at Purdue requesting to talk with me on the phone. Does this sound like a phone interview to anyone?

Yikes, I might babbling random stuff...

Sounds like one of those "unofficial" interviews with a prof who's interested in your work. As with any interview, be prepared and professional. This may be a prof who can move your application to the next step. Don't worry about the babbling, I think they sort of expect you to be nervous at first. I was babbling for the first 10 minutes of my phone interviews before I settled down :P

I got an email from a prof at Purdue requesting to talk with me on the phone. Does this sound like a phone interview to anyone?

Yikes, I might babbling random stuff...

It might be a longish talk (i.e. 45-90 minute unofficial phone interview), or it might just be a quick chat in which they invite you to an in-person interview, or it might be somewhere in between. I've had all of these, and it's really hard to tell the difference ahead of time!

Either way, make sure you're ready to talk about your interests, research, and proposed project. And have some questions ready for that inevitable time when they ask if you have questions.

Congrats!