Help needed: Follow-up with POI after interview?

Bartleby007

Hi Everyone,

Few weeks ago I had an informal interview with my POI at a dream college (Berkeley) -- in fact, it was a follow-up conversation, as we had Skyped prior to me applying.

All went well, except when he asked if Berkeley was an attractive option, I HESITATED. Berkeley is an absolute top choice but having Yale in mind, I simply could not scream: YES, my absolute number one, which he however nonetheless expected! 

After the interview, I emailed him to thank him for his consideration and send him an additional writing sample, he asked.

Since, I have not heard back -- and I feel like following up to re-assert my interest Though I felt the talk went well (especially considering it was unannounced), I have felt bad in the past few weeks and am looking to get in touch. You think this is a good idea? Do you have any advice on how to go about this, what to write, what to ask?

I would be EXTREMELY grateful for your help.

Also, few things have changed in my life since applying. For example, I will be publishing a book review next month (not peer review). Would it be worth sharing this?

Thank you all <3!

Personally, I wouldn't send another email since it may just be that the POI is busy. 

I know how you feel, I was in a very similar situation. POI that I'd had very positive pre application correspondence with interviewed me via Skype. I sent a thank you email but never heard back. I freaked out because she ALWAYS replied to previous emails promptly so it even got to the point where you're going back and forth on email so much you're not sure when to stop replying. I waited and waited but no reply. The next email I got from her was a congratulations on getting in email. Your professor is probably busy going through the admissions evaluation process since interviews mean they'll be doing final reviews, most likely. 

Also, since your email was a thank you, it may not have occurred to him that he needed to write back to that. If someone sent me an email like that, I'd probably just leave it too.

3 hours ago, DBear said:

Personally, I wouldn't send another email since it may just be that the POI is busy. 

I know how you feel, I was in a very similar situation. POI that I'd had very positive pre application correspondence with interviewed me via Skype. I sent a thank you email but never heard back. I freaked out because she ALWAYS replied to previous emails promptly so it even got to the point where you're going back and forth on email so much you're not sure when to stop replying. I waited and waited but no reply. The next email I got from her was a congratulations on getting in email. Your professor is probably busy going through the admissions evaluation process since interviews mean they'll be doing final reviews, most likely. 

Also, since your email was a thank you, it may not have occurred to him that he needed to write back to that. If someone sent me an email like that, I'd probably just leave it too.

Thank you @DBear. You're probably right, but I also sent a research paper which POI asked me to send. I won't send anything at this stage, but if you or others can think of anything I can ask at this point to show that I am interested in the program (and thus correct for previously underplaying my interest in the program), please let me know.

I personally thought of asking about his most recent work or asking a general question about the program but cannot think of anything substantial.

Thanks again!

I think it's best to wait, even if you sent him new material at his request. 

If you really want to contact him, I'd say find something to ask him - something specific. I wouldn't ask general questions at this point since I'm thinking these should have been taken care of during previous interactions. But perhaps you can ask a question and then wrap up with "I look forward to the possibility of working with you and XYZ aspect of your program is really exciting!" I'd just be careful of putting yourself in a situation in which you're over-explaining to the point where it sounds like you're pandering or insincere and trying too hard to win their affection. So whatever you end up doing, I'd say it's better not to go too deeply into why you think they are better than the other program or stuff like that. Just say you found X exciting and look forward to working with them. If X is something VERY specific to that program that you found out during the event - that'd be good. It would show that you really were paying attention. 

Good luck!