choosing a mentor/program

01848p

Hi all, I wanted some input on a question that I've been mulling over as of late. Suppose you are trying to decide between two programs. The advisor who you'd be working with at each program is great and their mentorship style is exactly what you're looking for. Both faculty are doing research you are interested in, and you also like both programs pretty equally. Both faculty are publishing frequently and there are a lot of learning opportunities in each lab. Is it better to choose mentor A, who is older and more established in the field (a name that everyone knows), or mentor B who is younger, and is considered a "rising star" (don't know if that's true but that's what her students told me)?

Edited by 01848p

I had the same problem, I interviewed with 2 faculty at the same program, one was an older faculty member and the other was a new faculty member. After meeting with both, I found that I "fit" better with the newer, younger faculty member. It's just a matter of who you believe you would work better with.

3 hours ago, nervous_nellie said:

I had the same problem, I interviewed with 2 faculty at the same program, one was an older faculty member and the other was a new faculty member. After meeting with both, I found that I "fit" better with the newer, younger faculty member. It's just a matter of who you believe you would work better with.

I think I would work well with both of them ?

Can you ask others in the same area about them (how their work is seen, how people feel about them, if they know what they are like to work with? (People you trust not to tell the POIs you are asking.)

I know I benefited a lot by asking my undergrad mentors about other professors (taking everything with a grain of salt of course).

Edited by C is for Caps Locks

17 hours ago, 01848p said:

Hi all, I wanted some input on a question that I've been mulling over as of late. Suppose you are trying to decide between two programs. The advisor who you'd be working with at each program is great and their mentorship style is exactly what you're looking for. Both faculty are doing research you are interested in, and you also like both programs pretty equally. Both faculty are publishing frequently and there are a lot of learning opportunities in each lab. Is it better to choose mentor A, who is older and more established in the field (a name that everyone knows), or mentor B who is younger, and is considered a "rising star" (don't know if that's true but that's what her students told me)?

If you really think that there is nothing that differentiates them in "fit" for you, I would suggest choosing the established older faculty as your mentor and then do some collaborations with the younger professor during your time in grad school. Then you can get the best of both worlds and have direct mentorship from a know name in the field. I know you said their mentorship style is the same, but I would warn that usually big names in the field are less hands on with their students, whether that's in time or effort. Individuals can differ of course so if you've already probed for that then no worries. Congratulations!

Oh! Also, maybe if the advisors seem very similar in fit you can start weighting things outside of them. I would consider cost of living, stipend amount, fit with program location, where alumni has ended up (and how that fits into the vision for your career) and amount of student loans normally take out by graduation. (Not to mentioned overall "feel", i.e. is your gut telling you anything.)

19 hours ago, 01848p said:

How's your fit with each labs students, what's the clinical training like? What facilities are available? Are brown bag lunches/symposias available? What's the cost of living verses the stipend? If even those are equal I would say go with whoever has 'newer' projects so you can help out  conceptually, maybe put a scale in or 2. If all those things are equal then I would go with the senior faculty member as a weightier name may help you find better internships and post-doc oppurtunities.

Also I know some of those factors are outside of the mentor/mentee fit but they inevitably affect your ability to do well in the program (and your career).

Edited by 8BitJourney