Anyone here has been in a similar situation?

Adelaide9216

Hello,

a few years ago, I disclosed publicly my past struggles with mental health and my journey towards recovery. Ever since, I kept doing talks, media interviews and such on the topic. I have also won major community awards which led me to speak even more about my story. However, I am also a social work student. Although I have received tremendous amount of support for my commitment to fight stigma both from my peers and my school of social work, I am hesitant to work as a social worker in a clinical setting because I could potentially encounter clients that might have seen me speak about this online or on tv. I had anticipated that this could happen - it took me 5+ years to decide to share publicly my story, and I have received a lot of advice from people who have made similar choices. I never had a client of mine either at stage or in a field placement who has brought this up to me, but I know that this will probably happen and I am unsure how to handle it, other than turning back the question to them and their concerns and not make the therapeutic alliance about me. Has anyone here been in a similar position?

Edited by Adelaide9216

I also met with the people of my professional order recently for an interview for the newsletter they send to their members. I was surprised by how supportive they were of my choice and my extracurricular activities. They said they like the new generation of social workers like me, who are thinking outside the box, and that it is refreshing.

Hi Adelaide9216! 

I have a somewhat similar situation. I am also a social work major and I'm specializing in addictions. I have had my experiences with substance abuse and mental health in the past. I think that your experience with mental health will make you more relatable to the client. Rapport building is such an important part of social work and if the client is easily able to relate to you then the client-therapist relationship will be much more beneficial. I'm sure your clients will have lot of questions and you can always turn the conversation back toward them and their treatment goals. I totally get your concern but I personally don't think it will harm your relationships with clients. I was apprehensive to share my past with my clients but when I was able to use it to relate to them I think it was very helpful. I know that substance abuse and mental health clients often feel alone, as if no one understands them. I think you would be a breath of fresh air! It's all about setting healthy boundaries, keeping treatment client centered and building rapport. 

@Adelaide9216 I echo @AlWils. The boost to your credibility that having this be public knowledge gives you outweighs the risk of others trying to take you down on account of your vulnerability. (And these are people who you would struggle with, anyway, so the gain is truly greater than the cost.) And yes, having a shared experience like this not only builds rapport, but it also demonstrates to your clients that because you've walked through the same (or similar) fire, you relate to them and are that much more dedicated to your work.

A heartfelt hats off to you for your courage. I am certain you will continue to do amazing work.