Attire for Visit? Other Advice?

angesradieux

I have visit days for three programs coming up and I'm crazy stressed over it. When I go, I really want people to like me, and I guess I'm a bit afraid that when POIs at various schools actually see me in person there will be a moment of "Wow... She looked good on paper... How did we end up with this?" Then, naturally, they'll all experience buyer's remorse and start to regret ever having made me an offer, setting the tone for five or more awkward and unpleasant years with an underlying theme of "How in God's name did I end up with you?" Unlikely? Probably. But among the scenarios I've managed to concoct in my anxiety-induced paranoia.

One of the (admittedly superficial, but still probably kind of important) things I'm a bit concerned about is what to wear. In the last week, I've spent much more than I probably should have on clothes, because I'm afraid what I already have won't make a good first impression. I've bought some blouses, skirts, and some nice shoes. But, I'm a jeans, t-shirt, and sneakers kind of girl with no measurable sense of style. I don't typically spend much time putting together outfits. So now I'm like "Er... Okay. I have new clothes. Did I get the right clothes?" Anyone have any advice on what people typically wear to these things?

Or any other tips that might help me not make a total idiot of myself? I'm probably just fixating on clothes because I can fix that. If they've overestimated my intellect, there's not much I can do about that... Anyway, advice, suggestions, etc. would be much appreciated.

First off, Congrats on your acceptance!

I can totally relate to that feeling though! I have my first visit in a week and am nervous that I won't live up to what's expected. I think it is a little more complicated to know what to wear as a girl because things go from casual to dressy really quickly. To make it even harder most womens clothes aren't very warm. 

I think for my visit I'm going to wear a nice top and black jeans and boots. I'm going somewhere that will have 40-50 degree highs during the day and I'm from Florida so really not prepared. I think the best advise anyone could give you is make sure you are comfortable and look professional and put together. There is a sweet spot between looking like you put effort into your appearance and putting too much effort into it. 

One of my professors told me yesterday that when you are "interviewing" with a professor at a grad school visit, you are actually the one that is interviewing them. You are trying to figure out if the school and professor are right for you. Make sure you feel comfortable and confident in what you are wearing so they can get to know the real you.

Thanks. I actually have the opposite problem. One school I'm visiting is in a place that's kind of cold, and I'm fine there. When I dress up, I tend to like layers. I'm pretty comfortable going to a place where I can wear all the sweaters, vests, jackets, etc. I like without having to worry. But I'm visiting two schools that are further south and a bit warmer than what I'm used to. I hate short sleeves, but I'm not sure whether I can get away with long sleeves or short sleeves plus a sweater or jacket without overheating. I bought skirts that should be a bit cooler than my jeans, but we'll see. I'm usually fine with just being hot in jeans and stuff in the warm weather, but I don't think I want to be all sweaty when I meet professors, so I may have the rethink my "heatstroke before short sleeves" stance. It's weird. I'm totally okay wearing t-shirts, but put me in a blouse that shows my arms and I feel like I want to go crawl in a hole and hide. Maybe it's because if I'm in a t-shirt I'm usually not really trying to impress anyone.