Interview Questions

biofreak

Hi,

I had an interview last week. It went pretty good except the one with the first interviewer (it was my very first grad school interview and I was nervous and could not express my research well). However, the interviews with four other interviewers were pretty relaxing and comfortable since I came to know that interview was not that bad after all; you basically explain your research experience and listen to the interviewer's research. Unfortunately, the first person who interviewed me happened to be a admission committee member and the rest were my choice. I am now worried that my getting nervous with him will prevent me from getting into that grad school. I don't know how much weight the decisions of the admission committee member carries. Do you guys have any idea if the admission decision is made based only on admission committee member's interview? I haven't heard anything from them as of now and I am kind of worried if I screwed up big time. Please share your experience.

The answers to your questions surely vary from department to department so no one here can really know. However, if you were interviewed by five people, it stands to reason that all of their opinions matter. I would assume that each interviewer will write a short summary of their interview with you and perhaps a recommendation of whether or not they think you should be accepted; once the interviews with all the candidates have been conducted, the adcom will meet, review everyone's opinions of all the candidates, and decide who to accept. I wouldn't worry overmuch about not hearing back after only one week, because the interview process can take some time.

I think all interviewer opinions will be taken into account, but only the adcomm member will be the one with the vote. So yes, that person is likely more influential in making a decision. As far as I know, the committee has to agree on who to offer the admissions to, and the rest of the people only have input into that committee.