Accepted people - figuring out work situations?

wagne846

Hey everyone..I thought I would make a topic for people trying to weigh out how they are going to work during school. I work full time right now and am debating switching to a part time substitute staff or doing a full time weekend job..At 30 hrs I would still be considered full-time and could keep my insurance and get tuition reimbursement. Not sure how realistic this would be interning ~12 hrs a week and taking classes full time. Anyone else as uncertain as I am? :lol:

If I end up at Michigan, I would likely try to get an on-campus job and another part-time gig for the weekends. It'd definitely be a struggle. If I go to Loyola, I'd go down to 30 hours as well, which sounds stressful. It's a hard decision!

Edited by green_dots21
Spelling mistake

I'm leaving my current job and taking out loans for cost of living. I am fortunate to have a husband who will continue to work and have an income, but we are going to amass quite a bit of debt. We are actually buying a house now because we won't have the income or credit to do so after I graduate... Hopefully I can get a part-time job, either on campus or locally, to make some money for gas and groceries. It's going to be tough, but there is no way I can go part-time at my current job and still be able to dedicate the time and effort to my degree. I did it with another Master's program and ended up leaving because it was too much (and that was at 9 credits vs. taking 17 credits with a 20 hr./week internship with the MSW). 

I am choosing a weekend part-time program for this reason. I was really torn between two schools, and taking four years to finish is a bit of a drag... but I can work full-time now and save money during my foundation classes, and cut back on work during the two fieldworks. These decisions are rough. Good luck!