How do you select a PI to apply to for PhD programs?

Quantitative_Psychology

Question

Currently, I am researching Quantitative Psychology PhD programs and trying to select potential PI's for applications in the Fall. I was wondering if anyone had advice for picking PI's beyond research interests. For example, I'm interested in limitations to longitudinal models and dealing with missing data in these models. There are a surprising number of people working with longitudinal data. I would like to push my criteria for selecting a PI beyond just research interest. Here are some things I've started looking at...

1) How often the PI publishes, 2) The amount of grant money the PI receives, 3) Status of Professor (tenured instead of non-tenured), 4) Number of previous graduate students and current employment of said graduate students

Does anyone have any other advice on what I should be looking for in a PI? I personally am interested in Quantitative Psychology programs, but I am happy to hear from all areas if applicable.

1 answer to this question