working with on-campus clients, off-campus

futureslpinca3

I am currently a grad student earning my hours at our on-campus clinic. A couple of weeks ago, my client's mom asked me if I can go to her house and work with her child when the semester is over, when the client is no longer my client. I guess I am just wondering if that is allowed? I'm not trying to get kicked out of my program or get in trouble by ASHA for working with my client on the side. I (obviously) do not have my license yet and I am not a licensed SLPA. 

On 3/8/2017 at 10:56 AM, futureslpinca3 said:

I am currently a grad student earning my hours at our on-campus clinic. A couple of weeks ago, my client's mom asked me if I can go to her house and work with her child when the semester is over, when the client is no longer my client. I guess I am just wondering if that is allowed? I'm not trying to get kicked out of my program or get in trouble by ASHA for working with my client on the side. I (obviously) do not have my license yet and I am not a licensed SLPA. 

Did you start here? http://www.asha.org/Code-of-Ethics/

Have you asked any of your professors or clinic supervisors? They should know.

The situation would be further complicated if the client's mother offered you compensation of any kind. That would almost certainly be illegal.