Any Info on Radford University and its Location?

I've been accepted to Radford, and I am thrilled!  However, I know NOTHING about the surrounding location or the campus or even the program really.  I have spoken quite a bit with some of the faculty, and they do seem amazing.  I am not sure if I'll be able to visit before I go there (or if I get accepted anywhere else, I want to know how to compare them).  If you know anything about Radford University, please share your perspective!!

11 minutes ago, grad5225 said:

When were you told you were accepted? I was told on Friday that they wouldn't be sending out decisions until this coming week! 

I was sent an email from the department chair on Friday morning (I guess early afternoon on the east coast).  Maybe they'll out more notifications next week?  I am not sure.  

3 minutes ago, grad5225 said:

Congratulations on being accepted! 

Do you mind me asking what your stats are? 

I hope so. Hopefully this doesn't mean bad news for me ?

Thank you!

CDS GPA: 4.0 (I'll be graduating in May with my undergrad in the major)

Last 60 GPA: 3.9

Undergrad Cumulative GPA: 3.03 

CSDCAS killed me and knocked my cumulative GPA down to 2.97 (academic forgiveness taken away, I presume)

GRE V: 154 Q: 146 AW: 4.0

Best of luck to you!!  

Wow! No wonder you were accepted lol 

I'm a non-communication disorder major, I'm a biology major, and I'm afraid that's going to hurt my chances. 

My undergrad GPA was 3.5 

my gre was 150/159/3.0 

im pretty nervous, I'm really wanting to go to Radford. I love that area. 

1 hour ago, grad5225 said:

Wow! No wonder you were accepted lol 

I'm a non-communication disorder major, I'm a biology major, and I'm afraid that's going to hurt my chances. 

My undergrad GPA was 3.5 

my gre was 150/159/3.0 

im pretty nervous, I'm really wanting to go to Radford. I love that area. 

Thanks!  I was pretty nervous about my cumulative GPA and mediocre GRE scores.  Have you taken any post-bacc CDS classes?  That might help you greatly if you don't get in this year.  

Have you been to Radford?  Can you tell me a bit about the area or the school or the program or all of the above?  I am in Los Angeles, CA, and I can't go visit before I make a decision (If I am fortunate enough for choices) because it would cost too much.  

As a fellow Californian who has never been to Virginia, I looked into Radford when searching for schools. My New Jersey native professor discouraged me from applying to Radford, not because of the program, but because she said it didn't give out a college town social vibe, was a bit in the middle of nowhere, and leaned conservatively (which were three things that were important to avoid in my search). 

Overall: I've heard Virginia is breathtakingly beautiful! I'm not sure how much you use social media, but I just searched Radford, VA on Instagram and it came up with a beautiful!! white and brick campus building with sunshine pouring through, and the caption of spring break. I've also found that searching the city forums here, or "should i move to radford" on google can come up with some great forum posts from other forums about the area. 

32 minutes ago, jmk said:

As a fellow Californian who has never been to Virginia, I looked into Radford when searching for schools. My New Jersey native professor discouraged me from applying to Radford, not because of the program, but because she said it didn't give out a college town social vibe, was a bit in the middle of nowhere, and leaned conservatively (which were three things that were important to avoid in my search). 

Overall: I've heard Virginia is breathtakingly beautiful! I'm not sure how much you use social media, but I just searched Radford, VA on Instagram and it came up with a beautiful!! white and brick campus building with sunshine pouring through, and the caption of spring break. I've also found that searching the city forums here, or "should i move to radford" on google can come up with some great forum posts from other forums about the area. 

Thanks!  I actually did most of the same research you did, but I forgot about the city forums here on the gradcafe.  I think maybe we have similar obsessive-checking/researching styles, hah!  I am very nervous about the conservative aspect, but I'm hoping that maybe after the 2 years I could move to the northern part of Virginia where it leans more left.  I don't really care about the college town social vibe as I am not 22 years old.  I'm worried about the schools for my kids, and job opportunity for my husband.  He might have to commute to Roanoke, or we'd commute from Roanoke... So much to consider.  (Once I hear from other schools though, it'll be much clearer what will happen).

On 3/12/2017 at 4:02 PM, SLPsingballs said:

Thanks!  I actually did most of the same research you did, but I forgot about the city forums here on the gradcafe.  I think maybe we have similar obsessive-checking/researching styles, hah!  I am very nervous about the conservative aspect, but I'm hoping that maybe after the 2 years I could move to the northern part of Virginia where it leans more left.  I don't really care about the college town social vibe as I am not 22 years old.  I'm worried about the schools for my kids, and job opportunity for my husband.  He might have to commute to Roanoke, or we'd commute from Roanoke... So much to consider.  (Once I hear from other schools though, it'll be much clearer what will happen).

Hi! 

Congrats on getting in to Radford, (I did too!!) 

I currently go to Radford for undergrad.. it is a truly beautiful place. The professors are wonderful, encouraging, motivating, and TOTALLY willing to help through any situation. 

I will admit, it's a small rural town. Not much here at all. We have to drive about 20 minutes to the nearest mall. There is a walmart, kroger, and food lion however. Ha ha! Not much else honestly. If you have any questions though, I've been here for four years and would love to talk to you!! Best of luck. :)

On 3/13/2017 at 8:17 PM, speechiepeachy said:

Hi! 

Congrats on getting in to Radford, (I did too!!) 

I currently go to Radford for undergrad.. it is a truly beautiful place. The professors are wonderful, encouraging, motivating, and TOTALLY willing to help through any situation. 

I will admit, it's a small rural town. Not much here at all. We have to drive about 20 minutes to the nearest mall. There is a walmart, kroger, and food lion however. Ha ha! Not much else honestly. If you have any questions though, I've been here for four years and would love to talk to you!! Best of luck. :)

Thank you for the brief rundown!  That is helpful!!  I will for sure be messaging you (after midterms this week, haha!).  Congrats to you as well!

Hey there! Moving to Radford from LA will be one hell of a culture shock for you. I was accepted to radford last year and moved from a larger town on the east coast. I ended up leaving before the program started because the area was just way too conservative for me. I have tattoos, piercings, lgbt....and was looked at and treated like an alien. As far as the program goes, I've heard nothing but good things and I'm sure with being busy in grad school that it would be ok and it's only 2 years after all. Then again, maybe more conservative appeals to you. If not, Blacksburg has a bigger university (Virginia Tech) and is close enough that you could live there and drive to radford if you wanted. Blacksburg definitely has more of a college feel and is more liberal than any of the surrounding areas and I mean liberal as in -200 on the scale of 1 to LA. Haha 

As far as things to do in the area, nothing. Lol but actually if you like hiking or outdoors type things then there's some great hikes and spots to kayak in the area.   

8 hours ago, Fazzzio11 said:

Hey there! Moving to Radford from LA will be one hell of a culture shock for you. I was accepted to radford last year and moved from a larger town on the east coast. I ended up leaving before the program started because the area was just way too conservative for me. I have tattoos, piercings, lgbt....and was looked at and treated like an alien. As far as the program goes, I've heard nothing but good things and I'm sure with being busy in grad school that it would be ok and it's only 2 years after all. Then again, maybe more conservative appeals to you. If not, Blacksburg has a bigger university (Virginia Tech) and is close enough that you could live there and drive to radford if you wanted. Blacksburg definitely has more of a college feel and is more liberal than any of the surrounding areas and I mean liberal as in -200 on the scale of 1 to LA. Haha 

As far as things to do in the area, nothing. Lol but actually if you like hiking or outdoors type things then there's some great hikes and spots to kayak in the area.   

Hmmmm, so you'd recommend that if I go there and want some diversity, to live in Blacksburg?  I have two daughters to consider, and offering them an environment filled with as much diversity as possible is important to me.  I too have lots of tattoos (that I plan on covering during clinic) and am a bit of a liberal feminist.  I do like the idea of living in a beautiful place though.  Thank you very much for your perspective!