Job Posting for MSW Students (Orange County)

mrdjdecastro

Hi Everyone!

I know everyone is on edge right now waiting for their decision letters/emails. Trust me, I was in this same boat 3 years ago when I was living in Seattle and waiting for my decision letters from UW and CSULB. Luckily, I got in to both and chose to move to Long Beach and I graduate in May! 

I wanted to advertise a job posting for a case manager working with older adults in Orange County. This is a position I used to have and I learned so much from it and was able to apply a lot of what I was learning in school. More than my internships even :-) It's perfect for someone looking to learn about mental health, case management and older adults. It works well for someone in the 3 year MSW program. I was able to work 40 hours my first year in the 3 year program because I didn't need to do my internships yet. Anyway, here is the job description. Good luck to everyone!

JOB ANNOUNCEMENT

POSITION TITLE: Case Manager

HOURS: Part time (20-28 hours per week)

FLSA CATEGORY: Non-Exempt          

ACCOUNTABILITY:  Program Director & Case Manager Supervisor

The Council on Aging-Southern California is a private, nonprofit corporation, serving older adults and individuals with disabilities since 1973.  The Council mission is to promote the independence, health, and dignity of older adults through compassion, education, and advocacy.

The Reconnect Program is designed to identify and reduce mental health symptoms in adults age 60 and older in Orange County. It integrates evidence-based practices into culturally diversified care management and life coaching services, including comprehensive psychosocial assessments, mental health screening, counseling, linkages to resources, support groups, and behavioral activation. 

Position Objective: To improve the psychosocial functioning of Orange County older adults experiencing behavioral health issues by conducting comprehensive screening and assessments, delivering individualized service plans, and facilitating activities to reinforce healthy life patterns.  To develop a supportive environment to help participants and their families overcome the stigma and fear associated with mental health illness.

JOB FUNCTIONS (including but not limited to):

·      Conduct individual’s comprehensive in-home assessment to determine biopsychosocial status.

·      Develop and implement participant individualized service plan to address unmet needs and facilitate independent involvement into community engagement activities.

·      Assist participants and their families in accessing community resources.

·      Provide case management, education, and assistance in the overall coordination of services.

·      Facilitate participant social involvement and life skills development.

·      Carry out a case load of a minimum of 20 participants at any given time.

·      Offer leadership and supervision to assigned support volunteers.

·      Compile and report case load statistics in a concise, timely manner to produce a monthly report.

·      Other duties as assigned by supervisor.

QUALIFICATIONS:

·      BA in social work, health sciences, public health, gerontology, human services, counseling, psychology or related fields, and/or relevant life experience in these areas.

·      Ability to work effectively with diverse populations and in team settings.

·      Outstanding communication skills.

·      Ability to develop a sense of trust and rapport with program’s participants.

·      Ability to work independently to achieve desire goals managing time efficiently. 

·      Ability to maintain objectivity and confidentiality in documenting and discussing caseload.

·      Proficient in modern office practices including basic computer skills.

·      Knowledge of Orange County community services and resources desired.

·      Proof of eligibility to work permanently in the United States.

·      A valid California driver’s license, proof of current vehicle insurance, reliable transportation to transport one and the participants to scheduled appointments in the community.

·      Submit to and successfully complete a LiveScan fingerprinting background check.

WORKING CONDITIONS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by the employee to successfully perform the functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform this job.

While performing the duties of this job the employee will be required to sit for periods of time. Standing, walking and bending are required movements.  The employee might need to lift approximately 10 lbs.

HOW TO APPLY:

To be considered for this position, please send ALL materials below to hr@coasc.org no later than March 25, 2017   

Cover letter

Resume

Salary History/Expectations

Submissions that do not include all of the above items will not be considered.

Job Description Caser Mgr pt.pdf