Let's say everything else about the program is a good fit. Top tier program, lots of great professors, close to home, good funding, good city -- but the program has terrible job placement.

Would a poor record of job placement be a deal breaker for you? What if your alternative is a program that's less ideal in terms of funding (although, still perfectly livable), location and fit (slightly less ideal), but much better with placement? 

Should we first and foremost consider job placement when choosing between programs that are a "good" fit?

8 minutes ago, ricksanchez said:

Let's say everything else about the program is a good fit. Top tier program, lots of great professors, close to home, good funding, good city -- but the program has terrible job placement.

Would a poor record of job placement be a deal breaker for you? What if your alternative is a program that's less ideal in terms of funding (although, still perfectly livable), location and fit (slightly less ideal), but much better with placement? 

Should we first and foremost consider job placement when choosing between programs that are a "good" fit?

For a top tier school with great professors and great funding then a horrible placement record should definitely raise eyebrows. If I were you then I would ask the grad students and professors why they think the placement record is so horrible. I would check to see what the professors are doing to support students in the job search.

MickeyRay, thanks for your feedback. I figure that as the job market continues to shrink, the standard goes up - thus concentrating the jobs in the hands of the few elite. However, this might have been a quick assumption on my part since I didn't even consider that the department could be at fault. You make a good point. 

19 minutes ago, ricksanchez said:

MickeyRay, thanks for your feedback. I figure that as the job market continues to shrink, the standard goes up - thus concentrating the jobs in the hands of the few elite. However, this might have been a quick assumption on my part since I didn't even consider that the department could be at fault. You make a good point. 

It's true that there are less jobs, especially for the humanities, but really phd students have to rely on networking and their advisor a lot in order to get a job. I would suggest asking about job search tools and how they support graduates in the job search regardless of the placement rate. Also, be sure to ask about supporting recent graduates (up to 7 years after program completion) as well. :)