art/archaeological conservation

qberta

hi. my partner is applying for art conservation programs in the fall, and I can't seem to find anything on these boards or in the results section. is anybody else applying? been through the process? looking at NYU, buffalo, or delaware?

or are conservators, like my partner for example, just way less interested in discussion boards?

Kudos to your partner! I'm in art history and have looked into applying to conservation programs, but all the undergrad chemistry requirements I'm lacking have put me off of it. Conservation seems to be a really small group of people, which may account for the lack of presence here on the boards.

yeah, the chemistry is killer. she did an art history degree & has been taking chemistry classes after work for the past 2 years just to be able to apply.

it's really made my own application process look like a joyride.

hey! my interests are less in art than in historic objects and materials, so i'm pretty sure my (extremely limited) advice will be not super helpful to your partner---but i've applied to the gsapp historic preservation program at columbia, which does not seem to have stringent entrance chemistry requirements. there are four or five tracks to that particular program, and you can, i think, elect to follow the conservation track without having done extensive (or any) chemistry before you get into their labs.

the gsapp program is very macro, though; it's in the school of architecture, and so is focused more on architectural materials preservation (stone, wood, metals) than on object materials (textiles, paper) or art. but it might be a place to start just looking for ideas?

best of luck!

janiejones

• 2 weeks later...

Come visit the Art History Thread in Humanities. There are usually a few conservationists there because the depts. are linked in the universities. Also, there are some museum studies folks sometimes, or maybe thats just me this year.

I don't have the mind for chemistry, but I'm taking a painting conservation class now, and am procrastinating on my paper (about Cochineal Carmine vs. Kermes Carmine Pigments) by hanging out on the boards.