Admissions status: Weirdsies

anon_grad

Let me set the stage. I have been in fairly close contact with a POI at my top choice - met with him twice, once at my current university and again at his. I have been in fairly frequent email contact with him.

He is the program chair for an upcoming conference hosted at his university and has invited me to attend as a "student volunteer". This means I have to pay for room, board and travel, but he waives my registration fee. The conference is at the end of March.

This is a design/technology program at prestigious northern technology school that starts with an "M" that is very very selective and is notorious for late decisions. Based on previous history, late March may be only a week or so after they send admission decisions.

I didn't have the balls to ask if they would could consider the conference an admitted student visit or an interview trip and they could cover my travel - because I assume my admittance is still very much up in the air.

I'm thinking I should go. What's another $400 in a process that has already cost me ~$650. I have some money from when I worked and I can kind of afford it. Plus, this is my top choice - what if this IS the interview!

What do you think? Should I do it? Am I in?

(posting anon and obscuring the program name in case somebody uses google)

On the one hand: if you can afford it, why not? (you could ask if there is a grad student you could stay with, to save accommodation costs)

On the other hand: what would you gain? You've already met the POI twice, and you've already visited the school. Do NOT assume that this is the interview if the POI didn't say so, in my experience professors are very clear about it when that is the case. The program has most likely not made decisions about finalists or interviews yet, if notifications don't go out until March.

I'm thinking I should go. What's another $400 in a process that has already cost me ~$650. I have some money from when I worked and I can kind of afford it. Plus, this is my top choice - what if this IS the interview!

What do you think? Should I do it? Am I in?

(posting anon and obscuring the program name in case somebody uses google)

Go! Go! I think you should nurture your relationship with the professor as much as you can. It sounds like you already have a rapport, so there isn't the risk of awkwardness, and who knows, perhaps this professor will introduce you to some interesting colleagues.

I think there is a good chance you will get in, but if you don't get in and didn't go to the conf., I think you will regret not going, and that would suck.

Besides, even if you don't go to "M," I'm sure you will remain in the field and this professor could be a great resource.

As far as the $, you only live once, and in the big picture, it is only $400 for a potential degree from "M." You lucky (smart) bastard.

Good luck!!!

Go, and save your receipts. If you do end up getting in / getting on the shortlist, they might offer to cover your expenses, and you'll have the receipts on hand to claim the money easily.

Go, and save your receipts. If you do end up getting in / getting on the shortlist, they might offer to cover your expenses, and you'll have the receipts on hand to claim the money easily.

This is definitely a good idea. I'd say accept. Why would you turn down the chance to make contacts? Best case scenario - you get in. Good scenario - you get in elsewhere and have a good relationship with this person and potentially his colleagues. Worst case - you get in nowhere across the board, but maybe somebody whom you met at this conference takes interest in you and you get in next year.

I really don't see any downside other than the money which doesn't seem to be life or death for you.

About the receipt part. This could be hit or miss depending on the professor(s) and the program. If you feel comfortable, do it. If you don't, don't do it. But saving the receipt is a good idea in case later on you decide to do so.