Info/Advice Please: U. Illinois: Urbana-Champaign

My decision is looming and it looks like I'm most likely headed for UIUC for my English MA. I was accepted with funding and a teaching assistantship. I'm from a small liberal arts undergraduate university in New England (total enrollment of 2,500, student-to-faculty ratio 13:1) located in a town of 7,000 people. I loved my undergraduate university and succeeded there. I wanted something similar for my MA (btw I'm going for an MA because my BS is in Secondary English Education. I'm not fully confident in my scholarly work yet. I plan on going for a PhD, someday). I hoped for a small liberal arts college on the east coast. Realistically, though, large schools often have better funding—SO I applied to UIUC (and some other larger schools). I applied the day the application was due (the same day my advisor sent me a link to their program); I knew nothing about the school. Long story short, U of I is easily my best offer so far (in terms of both ranking and funding), but I'm anxious about it for a myriad of reasons, including its total enrollment of 44,000 people! I've obviously read their website, but that's only so helpful, What should I know about UIUC's literature program? What are their teaching assistantships like? Any notable information on their women's and gender studies program? Other info or advice? 

THANKS! :)

Edited by Gray Under Gray

Wow! Ok. First off, congratulations! This is great news! :)

I went to UIUC for my undergrad and having moved to Champaign from Chicago I have to say that I had the opposite worry. I thought UIUC would be wayyy too small. I ended up loving it.

I lived in Champaign for all four years--it has a wonderful "small town" sort of charm. It can be a little bit daunting at first, considering the size of the school, but you'll quickly find your niche, build your own community, and feel right at home. Personally, I found the amount of students and size of the school to feel very energizing. 

I am a little bit biased, though--I had a wonderful experience and the English department is amazing, especially if you have the opportunity to work with a nurturing mentor. Everyone that I'd come into contact with had been nothing short of supportive and encouraging. I've never had any trouble working with the faculty or felt, even as an undergrad, that I was undeserving of their attention. Let me know if you have any other questions! Sorry I can't really speak about the graduate department/experience. 

3 hours ago, Joasia0429 said:

Wow! Ok. First off, congratulations! This is great news! :)

I went to UIUC for my undergrad and having moved to Champaign from Chicago I have to say that I had the opposite worry. I thought UIUC would be wayyy too small. I ended up loving it.

I lived in Champaign for all four years--it has a wonderful "small town" sort of charm. It can be a little bit daunting at first, considering the size of the school, but you'll quickly find your niche, build your own community, and feel right at home. Personally, I found the amount of students and size of the school to feel very energizing. 

I am a little bit biased, though--I had a wonderful experience and the English department is amazing, especially if you have the opportunity to work with a nurturing mentor. Everyone that I'd come into contact with had been nothing short of supportive and encouraging. I've never had any trouble working with the faculty or felt, even as an undergrad, that I was undeserving of their attention. Let me know if you have any other questions! Sorry I can't really speak about the graduate department/experience. 

Thank you!! This makes me feel much better. :)