UVic BSW 2017 - Waitlisted?

Alphabetical

Hi everyone! I know this is the grad cafe, but I've seen BSW posts in the past, as it's such a competitive application process. So I hope you don't mind me posting about this here, as my first post!

I submitted my BSW application package to UVic in December/January, and have been on the edge of my seat. In 2015, I applied and was rejected, so I entered a Child and Youth Care degree at a local university (I live in NS) and have been doing that since 2015.

Well, tonight, I received an email from UVic regarding my BSW application for May entry (distance) of this year. Here is what it says:

"We have filled the limited seats we have available for May entry, but we would still like to consider your application. It is possible there may be a few seats available when May registration finalizes in a few weeks. If this is the case and you qualify, you will be contacted by email. Otherwise you should hear from us by mid to late April regarding our decision on your BSW application for September entry."

I was hoping to connect with someone who may have been in this position previously, and would love to hear about how the process unfolded for you past this point. Also, if anyone has any insight to what this email truly "means", that would be appreciated too. I am reading it as, I'm not rejected, but my positioning on the "yes" list wasn't high enough to make the cut for May entry. Does that sound like it makes sense? Does anyone know if there are more seats available for September entry than there are for May entry?

I would absolutely love to know where my position on the waitlist is, but the email specifically states to not contact the school regarding your application. :/

Anyway... I am feeling kind of alone on this and would love any input! Thanks so much.

Hello, I received my offer of admissions for UVIC online (may entry) today. So the way it works from what I have read throughout the website is this. Yes you have been waitlisted for the BSW (2 year program) that starts in may. But there is a chance that individuals will not register and or decline the offer of admissions by Uvic, and if that is the case and if you are on the top of the waitlist, then they will immediately contact you that there is a spot available for the May entry. You will have the chance to accept and register ASAP to start the may-august summer term and then proceed into the 2-year program commencing in September 2017. If you are not on the top of the waitlist and or if no one declined the offer of admissions to UVIC, they will still consider you for admissions for the individuals that have applied to the September 2017 (You probably remember in the application choosing if you are attending the summer entry or September entry). They will look closely to see if any individuals have declined their September 2017 BSW entry offer of admissions. If there is a slot open for the September 2017 entry, then they will also contact you (mid april) to notify you.

Over-all, i know this is a very long explanation but i hope it makes it a little clearer. if you have any questions feel free to PM me and i will get back to you. This is also a qoute from the UVIC website in regards to the admissions 

" There are a limited number of seats available for May entry. After the maximum number of applicants have been admitted for May, the remaining May applicants may be considered for September entry if eligible in terms of overall score."

" After the School of Social Work has made all offers of admission, a waitlist of qualified applicants MAY be created (September entry point only). Applicants placed on the waitlist will receive an email indicating this. As admitted applicants decline their offers of admission, the School will offer admission to those waitlisted. The waitlist will be ongoing and remain active normally until late July, at which time it will be closed and any remaining applicants on the waitlist will be declined admission"

Edited by moh230

• 4 weeks later...

This is mostly correct Moh. But may and and September entry points are considered to be one cohort. From my understanding those who are bumped into September consideration will have equal opportunity to be accepted into the program, not if anyone decides to decline entry causing spots to open up. 

Also your last quote is in reference for those who are wailisted after the September intake has been decided, not for those who have been bumped into September consideration.

Edited by Racinette