On 2/3/2010 at 3:38 PM, mfr009 said:

Noticed some Duke acceptances. Anyone care to share their stats?

I was one of the Duke English admits. A bit of clarification, I was sent an e-mail that directed me to the ApplyYourself website. I did, however, later receive an e-mail from Rob Mitchell, who is just delightful.

My field is Victorian/19th-Century Literature, which I like to interface with queerness, aestheticism, philosophy, and cosmopolitanism. I graduated from the University of Maryland with a 3.98 GPA overall and a 4.00 in my major (English). My GRE scores were: 600 V (85th Percentile), 760 Q (86th), and 6.0 AW (98th). I also got a 670 on the Subject test (89th percentile). In all honesty, I don't think my GRE scores were that impressive, other than (perhaps) the writing score. Don't take them as an indicator of anything--they are what they are. I really think my writing sample and my LORs carried my application.

Like M.J.P. (so nice to meet you, by the way—I'm a Victorianist too, although I work on literature and science), I was notified by an e-mail directing me to the website. A message from Rob Mitchell, who does seem great, followed. I'm finishing up my senior year at Washington University in St. Louis, so I don't have a final GPA yet, but so far it's 3.93. GRE: 770V/800Q/6.0 AW; 740 Subject.

Well, knowing that two Victorianists got in already makes me feel a little less hopeful about Duke opening its arms to me.

All congratulations due, though. It's a wonderful program and you both sound like you deserve it!

I was one of the lucky people who received a Duke admission today as well (hello to MJP and ratiocinator). I was particularly grateful for the second email from Prof. Rob Mitchell, who took the time to provide a very thoughtful and considered response to my writing sample and personal statement. I'm somewhat hesitant about living in Durham, since I'm an international student and have never been anywhere near Durham, but I'm looking forward to visiting at the end of February!

I suppose I count as a Postcolonialist, with interests in deconstruction and (the rhetorics of) developmental economics. I'm finishing up a BA and BSc. Econ at Penn - 3.98CGPA, 4.00 in the Major. 800V 800Q 5.5AW and 680 on the subject test. If I remember correctly, Duke's program didn't require the subject test.

I wish good luck and good news to everyone for the coming fortnight!

Hi all,

I have also been granted admission to Duke (as well as Chicago and Suny Buffalo so far) and just wanted to give others out there with mediocre GRE scores hope of admission to top 10 schools. My GRE scores are terrible, straight up, no way around it, no possibility of cloaking it. I also did not graduate from an Ivy or other top 10 or even top 20 North American school, so let me stand as proof that truly and unfailingly it really is your SOP, writing sample, and LORs that matter.

Good luck to everyone!

Hi all,

I have also been granted admission to Duke (as well as Chicago and Suny Buffalo so far) and just wanted to give others out there with mediocre GRE scores hope of admission to top 10 schools. My GRE scores are terrible, straight up, no way around it, no possibility of cloaking it. I also did not graduate from an Ivy or other top 10 or even top 20 North American school, so let me stand as proof that truly and unfailingly it really is your SOP, writing sample, and LORs that matter.

Good luck to everyone!

Hi Simpleton,

I was also accepted to SUNY Buffalo. Care to share your subfield? Will you be attending the recruitment weekend in March?

In case anyone else is curious, my GRE scores were also not what I'd call stellar (not awful, but a lot of people on this forum seem to have much higher scores). My undergrad is also a small, virtually unknown liberal arts college. I haven't heard back from any of the other schools I applied to yet but I know for sure it was my writing sample and not my stats that got me into Buffalo.

Hi Hadunc,

I study the long American 1960s – prose, journalism, poetry, and particularly the missives (written on napkins, printed in books, spray-painted on buildings) of the New Left and counterculture. I most likely will not be attending the recruitment weekend, as Chicago was my first choice and I will more than likely will enroll there. Buffalo is a wonderful program though, strong tradition of political and theoretical scholarship and a world class, well rounded faculty – there is no part of me that makes an overall qualitative distinction between Chicago and Buffalo, my fit with Chicago is simply much better.

Good luck with the pending decisions!

Hi Hadunc,

I study the long American 1960s – prose, journalism, poetry, and particularly the missives (written on napkins, printed in books, spray-painted on buildings) of the New Left and counterculture. I most likely will not be attending the recruitment weekend, as Chicago was my first choice and I will more than likely enroll there. Buffalo is a wonderful program though, strong tradition of political and theoretical scholarship and a world class, well rounded faculty – there is no part of me that makes an overall qualitative distinction between Chicago and Buffalo, my fit with Chicago is simply much better.

Hi Hadunc,

I study the long American 1960s – prose, journalism, poetry, and particularly the missives (written on napkins, printed in books, spray-painted on buildings) of the New Left and counterculture. I most likely will not be attending the recruitment weekend, as Chicago was my first choice and I will more than likely will enroll there. Buffalo is a wonderful program though, strong tradition of political and theoretical scholarship and a world class, well rounded faculty – there is no part of me that makes an overall qualitative distinction between Chicago and Buffalo, my fit with Chicago is simply much better.

That's funny, I will be leaving Chicago to move to Buffalo if I decide to accept the offer. You will love living here, it's such an amazing city and I'll be sad to say goodbye. Just don't live right around campus, it's in a terrible part of the city! If you need any advice about housing or general info about living here feel free to pm me! And btw your subfield sounds fascinating--I am just amazed at the range of research interests that are housed at SUNY Buffalo! I would be going there for digital and cultural studies and contemporary American literature. And congratulations on your admits!

hi all,

does anyone know how duke's hispanic studies program is? and how is durham like? i've heard it is really peaceful an kinda boring, but that's why people can concentrate more in studying.

thank you and good luck for everyone...

Edited by jesus

hi all,

does anyone know how duke's hispanic studies program is? and how is durham like? i've heard it is really peaceful an kinda boring, but that's why people can concentrate more in studying.

thank you and good luck for everyone...

I don't know anything about the Hispanics Studies PhD, but I've heard that Durham was voted as "best place to Live" recently. Relatively low prices, nice area, overall nice climate, and nice people (also, decent job market, for those of us who need some supplemental income)

Hello all,

Is everyone planning to attend the recruitment weekend at the end of February? Is anyone considering going rogue and visiting on a different day? Inquiring minds want to know, etc, etc.

I really wanted to go, but work is going to get in the way. If anybody else is going, let me know how it is!

I won't be attending, sounds like fun though. I have a few other recruitment sessions that are going to take precedence. I also noticed that someone reported being wait listed at Duke yesterday. Though I am not promising anything, I would say there is about a 90% percent chance I am going to enroll somewhere other than Duke, which means that Wait list spot is going to materialize into an admission offer. I really wish I could do it now and give you (wait listed person) the chance to go to the recruitment session, but I really need to visit and be sure about a few other places before I commit entirely and give up my admission offer at Duke.

Cheers!

I don't know anything about the Hispanics Studies PhD, but I've heard that Durham was voted as "best place to Live" recently. Relatively low prices, nice area, overall nice climate, and nice people (also, decent job market, for those of us who need some supplemental income)

I can vouch for Durham as a great place to live and work! Remaining in the Triangle (Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill) is one of the reasons I really want to get into UNC.

Ditto, ditto. Are you thinking about visiting at a different time? I think the department is still willing to help arrange travel or cover expenses? Maybe?

Not sure. I'm thinking about visiting in March some time. I told the Assistant to the DGS that I would gladly show myself around the campus, but I wouldn't mind sitting down with some of the professors or grad students for coffee. She seemed very open to the idea. So far, I've been very pleasantly surprised by how delightful the Duke English department has been.

I won't be attending, sounds like fun though. I have a few other recruitment sessions that are going to take precedence. I also noticed that someone reported being wait listed at Duke yesterday. Though I am not promising anything, I would say there is about a 90% percent chance I am going to enroll somewhere other than Duke, which means that Wait list spot is going to materialize into an admission offer. I really wish I could do it now and give you (wait listed person) the chance to go to the recruitment session, but I really need to visit and be sure about a few other places before I commit entirely and give up my admission offer at Duke.

Cheers!

I think it's wonderfully considerate of you to take the waitlistees into account. I wish more applicants/candidates with offers thought the same way. However, I wouldn't worry too much about sitting on the spot at Duke until you've visited the other schools. Duke typically will give out more offers than spots. The last time that I applied, they made 15 offers for 10 spots, placing 4 more students on the waitlist. So even if you do turn down the offer early, they'll need five more people to do the same before the program will go to the waitlist...and that's unlikely to happen by the end of February (especially since Duke's competitors will continue to notify throughout February and into March).

In any case, have a wonderful visit at the other programs!

I can vouch for Durham as a great place to live and work! Remaining in the Triangle (Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill) is one of the reasons I really want to get into UNC.

I'm applying to Duke for 2011 (barring some miraculous occurrence in which the Adcoms get hit on the head and accept me this year), and possibly UNC, as well (it's still on the long list. Duke is definitely on the shortlist). Something about Durham seems so appealing... and I loved Duke's program right from the start. Unfortunately, this year I missed their deadline. *sigh*. I shall continue viewing this year's round of applications as a trial run which I am learning loads from (like what I need to do next year hahah). Otherwise I might go insane ;)

Simpleton: I'm one of two wait-listed students, and I appreciate your consideration. I'm afraid, though, that strokeofmidnight's correct here: Duke may not go to their wait list if one accepted student turns down an offer.

According to Prof. Mitchell, I have been a "victim of departmental math:" they simply have too many medievalists right now (I'd be curious as to whether they've accepted any medievalists this go round). Nevertheless, I received very encouraging emails from faculty members later this afternoon.

I suppose this is all one can expect from the process of graduate admissions: you make the shortlist, impress a few committee members, and hope the departmental politics swing in your favor.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone here have plans to fly out from the East Coast this Thursday to Duke for the admit weekend? There are forecasts of hurricane-conditions and snow over much of the East Coast from Wednesday night to Friday morning, and I have no clue what to do about travel arrangements. Ideas?

Does anyone here have plans to fly out from the East Coast this Thursday to Duke for the admit weekend? There are forecasts of hurricane-conditions and snow over much of the East Coast from Wednesday night to Friday morning, and I have no clue what to do about travel arrangements. Ideas?

Most of the snow is going to be consolidated in the northeast. I'm in Washington, DC, and we're mostly expecting rain--maybe a bit of snow. But assuming you're not transferring north of the Mason Dixon line, you should be safe to travel to Raleigh airport.

I, unfortunately, couldn't make it to the Duke admit weekend. Please let me know what you think about the department. I'd love to hear your initial impressions!

I'm flying out from New York on Thursday morning, and need to be back in the city for the NYU interview by Sunday evening... so I, too, am very nervous. Are flights going to be straight-up canceled, do you think, or just delayed?