University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee

Hey,

So I just talked to Dr. Gelfer because I had a question on the tuition rates. She gave me a tuition of the rates of the fall and spring semesters and she also gave me the rates of summer 1 and summer 2. I don't know if I just missed it anywhere, but did anyone else know that 2 summers were involved? I thought the program started in the fall.

Hey there!! Would you mind putting what she said as the tuition rates??

Also, I think I didn't notice the two summers either. I assumed once they told me that there were two summers that it wouldn't be this upcoming summer?

Or am I wrong?

I graduated from UWM.  The program starts in the fall and runs for two full calendar years.  If you start in Fall 2017, you would expect to graduate August 2019, assuming you complete the program in 6 semesters.

Yes! I found out that it starts in the fall! So essentially you go fall-spring-summer-fall-spring-summer. I am an out-of-state candidate, so in-state tuition might be different. She told me for out of state that tuition is approximately: 14,823.62 for each fall and spring semester and then for summer 1 it would be: 7,380.86 and for summer 2 it would be: 7,371.74. These numbers seem high though, so I'm not sure if I heard them right or not. You can always call and ask, she was super helpful!

Jabba, the out of state tuition numbers that you have are the same ones posted on the Bursar's office page from UWM's website tuition.  In-state tuition is significantly less than the out-of-state cost.  If I remember correctly, I averaged about $7,500-$8,000 (fees included) per semester in the fall/spring, and about $4,000-$5,000 for summer.

I took 13 credits my first semester.  Other than research methods, most follow this schedule for their first semester.  Each credit corresponds roughly to 1-1.5 hours:

Voice (2 cr)
Adult Neurogenic DIsorders (3 cr)
Clinical Processes (1 cr)
Research Methods (3 cr) [Some students choose to take this over the summer.  I wrote a thesis and opted to take it my 1st semester for that reason.]
School Age Language (2 cr) [some of my classmates took a class in Birth-3 instead.]
On-Campus Clinic (2 cr)

You can expect 2-3 hours per week of therapy time (actual time with the client).  The rest of the time is spent reviewing videos, reviewing past reports, therapy planning, analyzing data, writing reports, working on assignments, doing observations, etc.  Your actual timeslots for clinic varies based on your supervisor's schedule, your schedule, your client's schedule, availability of therapy rooms, etc.  I had some clients that had sessions at 8:00 am.  I also had clients that couldn't make it until 3 pm.

Some of my classmates also took classes for DPI certification in conjunction with these courses.  Others also had courses that weren't offered in their undergrad that they needed to patch into their graduate coursework.

In the 2nd year, some students also choose an independent study or an extra clinical experience in an area of interest that they couldn't fit in earlier.  The department does their best to try and customize your schedule to your interests and future career goals as much as possible.

1 hour ago, lexical_gap said:

I took 13 credits my first semester.  Other than research methods, most follow this schedule for their first semester.  Each credit corresponds roughly to 1-1.5 hours:

Voice (2 cr)
Adult Neurogenic DIsorders (3 cr)
Clinical Processes (1 cr)
Research Methods (3 cr) [Some students choose to take this over the summer.  I wrote a thesis and opted to take it my 1st semester for that reason.]
School Age Language (2 cr) [some of my classmates took a class in Birth-3 instead.]
On-Campus Clinic (2 cr)

You can expect 2-3 hours per week of therapy time (actual time with the client).  The rest of the time is spent reviewing videos, reviewing past reports, therapy planning, analyzing data, writing reports, working on assignments, doing observations, etc.  Your actual timeslots for clinic varies based on your supervisor's schedule, your schedule, your client's schedule, availability of therapy rooms, etc.  I had some clients that had sessions at 8:00 am.  I also had clients that couldn't make it until 3 pm.

Some of my classmates also took classes for DPI certification in conjunction with these courses.  Others also had courses that weren't offered in their undergrad that they needed to patch into their graduate coursework.

In the 2nd year, some students also choose an independent study or an extra clinical experience in an area of interest that they couldn't fit in earlier.  The department does their best to try and customize your schedule to your interests and future career goals as much as possible.

Thank you so much - you've been so helpful and knowledgeable about this program!!