Accepted into Masters Program, can I work for school over the summer?

JoshSelby

Question

Recently got accepted into the Stats program at Carnegie Mellon. I currently have a job in DC that pays the bills, but I don't particularly enjoy it and would much rather spend my time in Pittsburgh over the summer. Any chance I would be able to email the professors in my department and ask if there is any work I could possibly do over the summer before the school year starts? If so, what's the best way to go about asking this?

2 answers to this question

Yup, I did that before starting my master's and was offered a low-level position coding data. But it was a start on research! I think I just emailed and said I was interested in their work, and interested in moving during the summer; was there any chance they had funds for RAs? 

On 3/24/2017 at 10:07 PM, Levon3 said:

Yup, I did that before starting my master's and was offered a low-level position coding data. But it was a start on research! I think I just emailed and said I was interested in their work, and interested in moving during the summer; was there any chance they had funds for RAs? 

Not sure about funds, but I'm pretty sure they have summer research opportunities for undergrads at least. I emailed one of the professors I had a face-to-face with and told him I will be moving back to Pittsburgh in the summer and would be interested in any research opportunities if they were available for incoming graduate students.