No SOP requirement, attach one anyway?

Jennszoo

Submitting my last app for a 2/5 deadline tonight but I am stuck on one point. This program does not require an essay, but the application has a spot to upload one (if you program requires it, attach here...)

Should I upload one anyway? I feel like my SOP fills in the gaps as to why I am doing a 180 from my undergrad degree. But they also require an interview, so maybe I should save it for that?

Submitting my last app for a 2/5 deadline tonight but I am stuck on one point. This program does not require an essay, but the application has a spot to upload one (if you program requires it, attach here...)

Should I upload one anyway? I feel like my SOP fills in the gaps as to why I am doing a 180 from my undergrad degree. But they also require an interview, so maybe I should save it for that?

If you feel its important, and you're doing a "180" then I'd say yes, go ahead and attach it... especially if the interview is only for finalists.

• 3 weeks later...

I would only put it if your program does say optional. A program I applied to said that uploading unnecessary material will delay my application review and some negative stuff.

I would only put it if your program does say optional. A program I applied to said that uploading unnecessary material will delay my application review and some negative stuff.

I could see how that may happen but the fact that you stated it your SOP covers some gaps makes it seem like a much better idea to upload it onto the website. Just like someone else said, it won't hurt and the worst case is that they don't read it. I feel that the SOP gives some voice into your application instead of looking at the application as purely numbers so I'm all for the humanity connection in the application process. Besides, I feel like attaching an SOP even though it's optional sounds like you took the initiative to actually do one so I say definitely attach it. Good luck :)