MPP - how much work?

Hello again,

I wanted to ask about the workload of a regular MPP semester -- how busy will it keep one? Is it reasonable to do a 20-hour job on the side? What about the regular workload and test prep for, say, the LSAT during one's first semester? I know it depends on the person and the courses taken, but any thoughts to bring this into perspective are welcome and appreciated.

Gracias y'all!

Depends on which program of course.  Several, especially in the DC area, have all of their courses at night specifically so that their students can get jobs/internships.  Duke-Sanford, on the other hand, has a pretty rigorous courseload not allowing for outside endeavors (from what current/past students have told me).  You should be able to find the answers to your questions by researching/contacting the specific programs in which you're interested.

18 hours ago, 3dender said:

Depends on which program of course.  Several, especially in the DC area, have all of their courses at night specifically so that their students can get jobs/internships.  Duke-Sanford, on the other hand, has a pretty rigorous courseload not allowing for outside endeavors (from what current/past students have told me).  You should be able to find the answers to your questions by researching/contacting the specific programs in which you're interested.

Thank you. I was curious about the DC schools. I know people who went to GWand GU while doing jobs. They did things like IR and MPH. One did MSFS. Not sure about the MPP, though.

1 hour ago, DogsArePeopleToo said:

Thank you. I was curious about the DC schools. I know people who went to GWand GU while doing jobs. They did things like IR and MPH. One did MSFS. Not sure about the MPP, though.

I'm at McCourt for GU's MPP and they definitely encourage you to work. We don't have Friday classes to help facilitate this and many students also stack their schedules so they don't have classes several days of the week. However, working is less common in the first semester, and 20 hours is on the higher end of how much students work in their first year (it goes up in the second).

4 hours ago, SenNoodles said:

I'm at McCourt for GU's MPP and they definitely encourage you to work. We don't have Friday classes to help facilitate this and many students also stack their schedules so they don't have classes several days of the week. However, working is less common in the first semester, and 20 hours is on the higher end of how much students work in their first year (it goes up in the second).

This is useful, thank you. Do you know what kinds of work international students do? I hear they can't work off campus as a condition of their visa, but I'm not sure...

40 minutes ago, DogsArePeopleToo said:

This is useful, thank you. Do you know what kinds of work international students do? I hear they can't work off campus as a condition of their visa, but I'm not sure...

They can't in their first year, so many work as RAs and GAs on campus. The restriction lifts after that though