Chicago

While I didn't apply to Chicago, I did my undergrad there (and I was an English major! :D), so if anyone has any questions about life in Hyde Park and the department and what-all, I'd be happy to answer. Also, I figured all the peeps who got into Chicago probably deserved their own thread. So have at it, and congratulations! It's an awesome place.

Hello All, and particularly other people with Chicago acceptances !

Has anyone yet ventured to take up Jay Schleusener's prompt in his acceptance letter to contact any of the faculty you are hoping to work with? I have refrained from doing this throughout the duration of my applications as it always felt slightly presumptuous and pushy. Certainly the conditions are different now, and as an admitted student it would feel less brazen, so I am just wondering of anyone else in my boat as decided to proceed making contact.

Cheers!

Ok, great, two Hyde Parkers on the stand!

Reports on the internet concerning the safety of Hyde Park and the outlying areas range from the tempered to the histrionic and borderline racist paranoia (granted this statement could be true of most all discussions on the internet). I have a basic question: I will most likely choose to go to Chicago and hope to be able to get around (to and from school, along the lake shore, possibly longer jaunts into town) on my bike – will that be possible? The cold is not a problem for me, I have lived and studied in some semi-arctic geographies and persevered on my bike for the sake of mobility and exercise. I am just wondering what kind of bike city Chicago is, and if the surrounding areas of Hyde Park might bar me from safely traversing them in any other way than on public transportation.

Thanks All!

Chicago's a pretty good bike city, all told, and getting around campus and Hyde Park on campus is pretty common--there are bike stands all over campus, though probably not nearly enough. There's a lakefront path especially for bikers and joggers that goes up all the way to the North Side, and is quite beautiful. Though I've got no biking skills myself, several of my friends do bike without much of hassle--they just finished "pedestrianizing" the main quads, so the ride is a lot smoother. Chicago being a big city, you'll want to buy a good lock for your bike and take the appropriate anti-theft precautions--I've seen everything from people removing the seat to using really, really intimidating chains. :D

As for the crime stats, I suppose I can only speak for myself when I say that I've never had a problem. UCPD (the university police dept.) patrols the area pretty frequently--and I lived on the south side of campus, closer to where trouble exists. There's the usual bevy of late-night van and evening bus options so you don't have to walk home late at night. Most grad student housing (the university-owned stuff, anyway) isn't on the south end of campus, and the buildings that they do own are in pretty safe areas--they just built a shiny new undergrad dorm on the south side of campus, so they're really working on keeping that area safe for appearances. The campus, for the most part, extends from 55th Street to 61st Street in a north-south direction, and Stony Island Ave to Cottage Grove Ave in an east-west direction. When looking for housing, try not to go beyond Cottage Grove, or south of 63rd (you can go as far north as 51st and still get to campus without much hassle, I think). UCPD's patrol area extends much further than the boundaries of campus alone, so that may be reflected in the crime stats.

Ok, great, two Hyde Parkers on the stand!

Reports on the internet concerning the safety of Hyde Park and the outlying areas range from the tempered to the histrionic and borderline racist paranoia (granted this statement could be true of most all discussions on the internet). I have a basic question: I will most likely choose to go to Chicago and hope to be able to get around (to and from school, along the lake shore, possibly longer jaunts into town) on my bike – will that be possible? The cold is not a problem for me, I have lived and studied in some semi-arctic geographies and persevered on my bike for the sake of mobility and exercise. I am just wondering what kind of bike city Chicago is, and if the surrounding areas of Hyde Park might bar me from safely traversing them in any other way than on public transportation.

Thanks All!

Your observations on the crime reports are spot on--basically, Hyde Park *is* a bit of the oasis they say it is because, to be candid, it has an unusally high concentration of white people on the south side aside from Bridgeport and Beverly. So, I think many times people (those who don't typically concern themselves with anything to the south, anyway) try to equate HP with neighborhoods on the north side with similar amenities, which simply doesn't work. So, the perception ranges from inaccurate links between non-white race and crime to more realistic gauges of the realities of the area. Generally, Hyde Park and a wide-ranging circle around it is pretty safe, relative to city-wide crime statistics (and safety is just a perception, isn't it?). As a woman walking alone after dark, I feel safer around Hyde Park than a north side "destination" neighborhood like Lincoln Park where crimes seem to be more targeted (especially random crimes against women, usually sexual) and where there is a higher concentration of young singles and bars, etc. That said, it is a large city and there are murders and rapes in every neighborhood. So, of course, you have to be smart no matter where you are. That said, HP had a 30-year crime low in '07 or '08 (can't remember). Overall, it's got most amenities one could want (it does lack a little in retail shopping but that will change in the next few years with a couple of huge development projects) and a range of cultural activities. Plus, it has a near-Utopian racial makeup and an absurdly high amount of people with graduate degrees (something like 44%, if I remember correctly from the Red Eye when they were compulsively profiling our neighborhood around the time of the presidential election) while still being pretty economically diverse.

I feel comfortable riding my bike from HP all the way to downtown, through the neighborhoods. (But, like with any area of town, this is only after living here a while and getting to know each neighborhood--I don't feel comfortable riding through any part of town where I'm not familiar with the geography). But, we have the lakefront trail, which is wonderful--not to mention its beaches and parks and Promontory Point. I used to occasionally ride my bike to the north side to work and would take the lakefront because there aren't any cars to deal with, though it is a longer, more winding journey. For a leisurely ride during warm months, nothing beats it! If I were to commute every day on a bike, I'd go through the city. Chicago buses are bike-friendly, so if you did want to go to the north side more easily, you can throw your bike on the rack on the front of the bus and ride to downtown (the express buses--2, 6, and x28 are great) then ride your bike from there. But, Drexel Blvd. N from Hyde Park is a beautiful journey--old mansions and such--as is King Drive, which will take you from just W of HP pretty much all the way downtown. (You can switch over to State St. and ride right into the heart of the Loop or branch off into Chinatown and other SW-side neighborhoods before you hit the Loop.) So, there are several main arteries that run N-S to downtown from Hyde Park or immediately W of Hyde Park.

You might be interested in reading http://www.hpherald.com, which comes out every Wednesday. Or http://hydeparkprogress.blogspot.com, which is a snarky but knowledgable report of goings-on in HP. I have lived here for 5 years (and own a condo) and neither my husband nor I are affiliated with the university. I love this neighborhood and think that it's near-perfect and a rather well-kept secret for much of Chicago. I hope this helps!

wow you guys!

In two moderately lengthy messages you have outstripped the entire world-wide web in terms of clarity of information, introspection, and informative anecdotes.

You rule, thank you so much! I really appreciate it.