IU-Bloomington Victorian Studies

Can somebody from/considering IU-Bloomington talk a little bit about their program? How is the health of their Victorian Studies program? They of course are considered one of the best in that field, but they don't seem to have placed many Victorianists in the past few years.

Edited by t67

This might be because they haven't graduated any in the past while, or because some decided not to pursue TT jobs or something like that. I'm not necessarily looking for anything negative. This could also be a good place to talk about what a great program IU is, too :)

Edited by t67

I'm not a Victorianist, but I know that they lost Andrew Miller to JHU a year or so ago, alongside Mary Favret (who is a Romanticist, but still a very significant loss). Obviously it remains a strong department for Victorian Studies, but I imagine they're doing a little bit of rebuilding right now. 

I really enjoyed talking with Rae Greiner (one of their Victorianists) when I went on my visit. She's absolutely fantastic and her research is really cool too. If I were going for Victorian Lit, I'd be thrilled to work with her.

I'm a Victorianist undergrad at IU, so my experiences are really limited to the professors I've had/I've interacted with. Professor Kreilkamp and Professor Morgan are amazing, both working on interesting topics. Professor Kriegel is probably the one you would want to connect with. She's the head of the Victorian Studies program I believe, and she would be able to match you with faculty that are working on issues that you're interested in.