Help make me a stronger applicant

kleos

I recently graduated from a tier 3 (USNEWS ranking) state university with a BSCS. I didn't really try hard in my undergrad studies because I didn't have much direction. My motto was basically "do just enough to get by" and now that I am finished I regret this dearly. I have decided I want to go for a PhD and this is where I stand:

Ugrad GPA: 3.23

CS GPA: 3.2

GRE: not taken yet

LORs: none

Research Experience: none

I know I am not competitive at all right now so I am going to get a Masters first. I have decided to do the Masters via distance learning and have narrowed it down to 3 choices. I would like opinions on which school to choose:

University of Illinois Springfield - MSCS, thesis option, cost 11k.

University of Louisville - MSCS, thesis option, cost 18k.

Colorado State University - MCS, coursework only, cost 19k.

I plan on applying to state schools in the southeast for a PhD. None of the programs I apply to will be top schools. Here is my opinion on the schools I am considering for the Masters:

UIS - The school is pretty much unknown. It is a ranked tier 1 Masters midwest region (USNEWS ranking) school (the school doesn't offer PhDs). It is the cheapest and smallest program. I will interact more with the faculty and have a good chance of getting great LORs and research experience.

UofL - Seems to be a solid program. Decent size program so it may be difficult to get LORs since I will be doing distance learning. Will get research experience.

CSU - Same as UofL except will not get any research experience.

I am leaning towards UIS and then making it a point to get great LORs and research experience. I am hesitant because UIS is not known.

So basically, should I go with an unknown school and get great LORs and research experience or should I go with a known school and get decent LORs with little or no research experience?

Thank you for your help!

I would rather come from an unknown school which will offer you great research experience.

I have a friend who graduated with me with about a 2.9 GPA + 1320 GRE score (740q, 580v, 5.0a). We didn't even graduate from a ranked school; our program is unranked. He did 2 research projects during his undergrad: a summer research program at another University and one with his Professor at our undergrad. I don't think he published anything. He was accepted to CMU's PhD program. I guess this is why I'm saying that it would be better to have great research experience.

Thanks for the reply joro.

Hypothetically speaking, lets say all elements of my application are the same (GPA,GRE,LORs,Research) except for where I received my Masters. Would an adcomm see a difference between University of Illinois at Springfield and University of Louisville?

Am I worrying about nothing?