What PhD area of study is most/least useful to society??

1f3_2kf2

I may want to kiss you for this response.

I am reminded of how many "well-educated" people I have known over the years:

The VP that didn't know that canned vegetables were already cooked.

The copywriter that couldn't sew a button on a shirt.

The law professor that could not get a verb and subject to agree with the laws of gravity much less each other.

The tv producer that thought money coming out of an ATM machine was magic.

The HR VP that could not change a flat tire.

All this pretense makes me itch. Useful people make things grow and work.

Ha, I love this. So true. Okay so I'm late the party and way off topic from the original post, but this made me think about what my mom always says, how there are different types of intelligence. I have decided that nature gave me a decent amount of book-smart intelligence as well as emotional intelligence, but took away a wee bit of common sense and mechanical intelligence to compensate.

It drives me absolutely nuts that people still use "it's" as possessive, when to me it's something we learned in the 3rd grade and is really simple. Yet, I was age 18 when I realized the word "earring" was a compound word- "it's a ring, and it's in your ear! OH!"

And I still can't change a flat tire. Completely useless when it comes to cars.

And yes, arguing over what is the most useful or least useful PhD to society is very subjective. We probably all feel that our chosen fields have relevance (and they do, or else they wouldn't exist), but it's like arguing about religion...just is never going to go anywhere.