I'm not alone... yeay!

Hi everyone!!

I've applied to the following PhD Programs: UCSD, U of Penn, Penn State, UIUC and the following Masters Programs: American, George Washington, Fordham, NYU. My focus will be on Health Communications.

My Background

BA, anthropology UCLA 3.63 GPA

MPH (Public Health, Management and Policy) UCLA 3.85 GPA

GRE: was poor at 590 Verbal 490 Quant and 4.5 Aw. I was studying for my LSAT when I decided to get my PhD instead and crammed verbal and quantitative in 2 weeks. I'm

hoping that what people say about communications GRE scores being unimportant are true.

Work Experience:

I worked as a licensed vocational/practical nurse for many years. After I got my Bachelors I received my teaching credentials and became a lecturer for a few colleges. I Worked in Hurricane Katrina Relief efforts, wrote some National State Council Board of Nursing Questions for the NCLEX Exam, and was an HIV/AIDS Educator while assisting in Health Awareness Campaigns in Tanzania Africa. Currently I have been working for 2 years as a Project Director for a National Electronic Health Records Software Development Company.

I haven't heard from any of the schools I've applied to. All I hear is that my application is being reviewed. ugh... the wait is killing me!

Hi Deanne,

Nice to see a fellow health communication applicant. Your professional experience in health-related organizations is very solid and this should compensate for your GRE scores. My verbal score is lower than yours and I sure hope the committee doesn't discard my application because my verbal is lower than 600 and my writing is less than 5! I spent 2 months studying for GRE and it was a horrible experience. I remember getting panicked when the clock showed that I have 2 minutes left on my first writing part and I couldn't finish my last few sentences. Given one additional month, I think my verbal and quant. will go up and my writing will be less clumsy. But what is done is done and I don't ever want to take GRE again. What amazes me is knowing a few applicants from India and China who can score more than 650 V and a perfect 800 Q (we have a joke that it's an utter failure for any Asian students who do not get a full Q score). However, they have a dismal 3.0-3.5 for writing and TOEFL scores of less than 90. So, I'm not really sure how GRE can be an accurate measurement of our English ability. It may be a good measurement of our memory power, perseverance and ability to remain calm!

What would be your focus in health communication? My current focus is in health & social campaigns and how to integrate new media & edutainment channels to motivate the target audience into activism.

It seems like everyone is applying to U. Penn and Penn State! It must be super competitive to get accepted into these two schools. I'm wondering why there are not more applicants to the Ph.D. Program at USC since it seems like they have more resources (in terms of the number of faculty members, areas of research, class offerings, more substantial stipends, etc.) The Ph.D. program at USC is my dream school but I didn't apply because I just couldn't work out with my sponsor to send them a financial statement by December 1st. For whatever reasons, USC graduate office will not process my application without this financial statement, which is ridiculous since all accepted Ph.D. candidates, including international students, get full funding from the Annenberg School. I was quite bummed since I was in touch with a professor who believed I could work on her current research project.

IIE, the agency which helps Fulbright grantees to do university placements, is still applying the Master of Communication Management in Health & Social Change at USC for me, but this program is now at the bottom of my list. My goal is to move on to the doctoral program and this Masters degree is a professional track, lasts only a year and doesn't seem to prepare me for the doctoral studies. The tuition fees is also outrageously expensive, almost $42,000 for 8 courses. Including living expenses, I'll be paying $64,000 in one year. I just don't think my sponsor will cover everything for this amount. Anyway, that's just my rants. :-)

Just wondering, why did you also apply to Masters programs since you already have an MPH?

Hi Vit1825

That GRE exam is definitely not a great indicator of success in a Grad program. I took the LSAT test before taking the GRE and did quite a few practice exams (mimicking the natural environment and timing and all). I know the first few times I did this, the psychological ramifications of that darn time clock did me in and I did poorly. By the time I took the GRE I had already been beaten badly by the LSAT experience. I agree that the GRE is really an indicator of memory and sanity under pressure.

As for applying to other Masters, my MPH was not really research based and instead focused on the pragmatic practice of the health delivery system. Although valuable, I do not think I came out of it confident in doing communications research. However, I can definitely run a company LOL. I also fear I will not get accepted into a PhD program and have to anticipate how to make my background better to try again another day.

As for my research interest... I have so many and hope to figure out a focus in school. I am interested in researching how visual media is used to raise awareness of communicable disease and how people conceptualize the disease individually, in particular communities, in policy as a result of that media. (Basically, Media as a social force as it pertains to Health). Also, I am interested in understanding how social media and technology modify health behavior specifically as it relates to the emerging field of Global Medical Tourism. Lastly, since I work for an Electronic Medical Record Company and its getting much support due to the HITECH act, I'd like to research how EMR is affecting the health industry in some way... haven't figures this out yet and EMR is not my favorite subject.

As for USC, I have heard they have a well-funded program but I am suspicious of the quality. I don't see that many people applkying to it either. On a more positive note, I heard that they are extending the PhD deadline indefinitely. It says they are still accepting late applications: http://ascambassador1.usc.edu/Prospective/News.aspx This is the link for USC admissions news. Call them soon and see if you can try again.

What other schools have you applied to?

Regarding USC-Annenberg vs. Penn-Annenberg, it really depends on the area of communication you wish to specialize in. For example, Henry Jenkins is now on faculty at USC-Annenberg. If your work focuses on Internet based communities, fan culture, or media convergence, then USC would be a dream school.

In my case, there were multiple profs at Penn who share my specific areas of interest (early electrical communication technologies, interpretive communities, intersection of technology and culture). While there are great profs at USC who share some of my interests (and some real superstars like Jenkins and Prof. Ball-Rokeach), their specialties weren't as good a fit for my interests as the faculty at Penn.

Deanne, your comment about practical versus theoretical Masters degrees resonated with me. I have an MBA, but once I decided to pursue a PhD in Communication I decided to enroll in a Communication Masters first, to get some chops at doing specifically communication-oriented research. I haven't regretted it one bit.

Best of luck to you both :)

Hi Deanne,

Thank you for the news from USC. I'm surprised to hear they're still allowing late application. I still want to apply but after discussing with the Fulbright Office, they're not going to move forward with it. They told me that they're already helping me to apply to a Master of Comm. Mgt and they cannot assist me to apply to another program in the same school. This is a bit tricky since the grant I've been awarded is for a Master's Degree only and they're not willing to help me with the Ph.D. application. I've explained to them that if I'm accepted into the USC Ph.D. Program, I can still get an M.A. by submitting a thesis during the second year. But they're still not going to help. :-(

Oh well, I guess I'll just let it go. I think pursuing a doctoral program is too premature for me at this point. It makes sense to do an M.A. first to build a solid foundation in conducting an academic research. I certainly don't want to fall behind and suffer through the doctoral program. And most importantly, I don't think I'll get accepted into USC Ph.D. Program to begin with.

Why are you skeptical about USC's quality? Based on this ranking, it seems the school is doing well across the board, though I see their health communication area is not in the top 10. I've been told by my university instructors here in Thailand to go for Syracuse, USC, Northwestern or Texas-Austin. But they're from the faculty of advertising, PR and integrated marketing communications, so I guess they don't really have a clue which US school is strong in health comm.

I'm sure you will get several offers for a Ph.D. Program. Spending additional 2 years for another MA before doing another 4-5 years for a Ph.D. doesn't sound too enticing!

I'm applying to U. Penn (Ph.D. in Comm & I did the application by myself without Fulbright's help.), Penn State, Georgetown, Michigan State,

Purdue (accepted!), U. Arizona, Emerson College & USC (Master in Comm Mgt).

At this point, U. Penn is more like a dream spot but realistically a (very) long shot. It's also a Ph.D. Program which I have to settle with Fulbright. I'm waiting anxiously for Penn State and if I get an offer, I'll most likely take it. Georgetown is an interesting choice since it's not in health comm. The CCT program offers courses in how media & technology influence social change and it is still relevant to my interests. I'll probably choose Georgetown only if they also offer merit-based scholarship to me, since my sponsor can't cover everything. Georgetown has great reputation in Asia, especially in international development industry and its degree can help my career in Asia more than Penn State. If all these 3 options fail, I can take comfort in knowing that I can still be in Purdue. For me, Purdue, Michigan State and Arizona are in about the same level so I'm not really sure which one to choose among this group.

I don't think I'll consider Emerson or the Comm Mgt program at USC now since they're more practical in nature and won't give me a good foundation for the doctoral studies.

That's all for now. All we can do is ....wait and wait and wait.

Regarding USC-Annenberg vs. Penn-Annenberg, it really depends on the area of communication you wish to specialize in. For example, Henry Jenkins is now on faculty at USC-Annenberg. If your work focuses on Internet based communities, fan culture, or media convergence, then USC would be a dream school.

In my case, there were multiple profs at Penn who share my specific areas of interest (early electrical communication technologies, interpretive communities, intersection of technology and culture). While there are great profs at USC who share some of my interests (and some real superstars like Jenkins and Prof. Ball-Rokeach), their specialties weren't as good a fit for my interests as the faculty at Penn.

Deanne, your comment about practical versus theoretical Masters degrees resonated with me. I have an MBA, but once I decided to pursue a PhD in Communication I decided to enroll in a Communication Masters first, to get some chops at doing specifically communication-oriented research. I haven't regretted it one bit.

Best of luck to you both :)

Thanks for your insight on the profs at these 2 schools. I was corresponding a few emails with Prof. Lynn Miller at USC and her current research in using virtual interactive & gaming technologies to reduce risky bahavior and HIV prevention actually fits perfectly with my experience and interests in using new media for health/social change campaigns. But ahhh, I need to stop thinking about USC now. Can't apply now anyway. I guess I can still apply to USC after getting an MA. :-)

Hi Deanne,

Thank you for the news from USC. I'm surprised to hear they're still allowing late application. I still want to apply but after discussing with the Fulbright Office, they're not going to move forward with it. They told me that they're already helping me to apply to a Master of Comm. Mgt and they cannot assist me to apply to another program in the same school. This is a bit tricky since the grant I've been awarded is for a Master's Degree only and they're not willing to help me with the Ph.D. application. I've explained to them that if I'm accepted into the USC Ph.D. Program, I can still get an M.A. by submitting a thesis during the second year. But they're still not going to help. :-(

Oh well, I guess I'll just let it go. I think pursuing a doctoral program is too premature for me at this point. It makes sense to do an M.A. first to build a solid foundation in conducting an academic research. I certainly don't want to fall behind and suffer through the doctoral program. And most importantly, I don't think I'll get accepted into USC Ph.D. Program to begin with.

Why are you skeptical about USC's quality? Based on this ranking, it seems the school is doing well across the board, though I see their health communication area is not in the top 10. I've been told by my university instructors here in Thailand to go for Syracuse, USC, Northwestern or Texas-Austin. But they're from the faculty of advertising, PR and integrated marketing communications, so I guess they don't really have a clue which US school is strong in health comm.

I'm sure you will get several offers for a Ph.D. Program. Spending additional 2 years for another MA before doing another 4-5 years for a Ph.D. doesn't sound too enticing!

I'm applying to U. Penn (Ph.D. in Comm & I did the application by myself without Fulbright's help.), Penn State, Georgetown, Michigan State,

Purdue (accepted!), U. Arizona, Emerson College & USC (Master in Comm Mgt).

At this point, U. Penn is more like a dream spot but realistically a (very) long shot. It's also a Ph.D. Program which I have to settle with Fulbright. I'm waiting anxiously for Penn State and if I get an offer, I'll most likely take it. Georgetown is an interesting choice since it's not in health comm. The CCT program offers courses in how media & technology influence social change and it is still relevant to my interests. I'll probably choose Georgetown only if they also offer merit-based scholarship to me, since my sponsor can't cover everything. Georgetown has great reputation in Asia, especially in international development industry and its degree can help my career in Asia more than Penn State. If all these 3 options fail, I can take comfort in knowing that I can still be in Purdue. For me, Purdue, Michigan State and Arizona are in about the same level so I'm not really sure which one to choose among this group.

I don't think I'll consider Emerson or the Comm Mgt program at USC now since they're more practical in nature and won't give me a good foundation for the doctoral studies.

That's all for now. All we can do is ....wait and wait and wait.

Yes... I'm not sure how great their health communications program is. I've had the opportunity to direct a joint health week of events between UCLA and USC and wasn't exactly floored by some of the research. But it was such a small sample of professors that I really should be more open-minded. Part of it is my UCLA school spirit and my reluctance to stay in Los Angeles. Despite all this, USC is my number 2 after UPenn of course. CONGRATS ON PURDUE!

Yes... I'm not sure how great their health communications program is. I've had the opportunity to direct a joint health week of events between UCLA and USC and wasn't exactly floored by some of the research. But it was such a small sample of professors that I really should be more open-minded. Part of it is my UCLA school spirit and my reluctance to stay in Los Angeles. Despite all this, USC is my number 2 after UPenn of course. CONGRATS ON PURDUE!

Hahaha. It amazes me to see the notorious rivalry between UCLA and USC. I remember meeting a Ph.D. student from UCLA in Bangkok last year and when she found out I was interested in applying for USC, she did her best to convince me to go for UCLA. I really wish there's a relevant communication program at UCLA for me.

Having lived in Singapore and Bangkok all my life, I would prefer to live in large cities with moderate weather like LA. But my preferred programs seem to be heading towards small college towns with extremely cold weather like Penn State, Purdue & Michigan.

Good luck to everyone here! I hope we all will get accepted into the program of our choice.

Well that's the nice thing about communication - you can't do it alone ;)

Your overall picture is interesting (UCLA's a good school, GPA is reasonable). GREs are a little low... generally speaking below 500 may put you off a school's radar. That said, health is a very hot area in comm right now.

Good luck!